Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 15 crash

Safari crashed after updating it to 15. It didn't open anymore. So I reinstalled Monterey to download Safari with it again, after none of the advice from the community worked out.

Even after reinstalling - nothing. It crashes every time I try to reopen Safari.

Any ideas?

MacBook, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:31 AM

Welcome TheAnneSiegel,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, Safari quits unexpectedly when you try to launch the app. We'll do our best to assist.

For issues with launching Safari, try relaunching it while holding down the Shift key on your keyboard. This should remove the app's saved state and hopefully resolve it.

What happens if you boot to safe mode and test it out: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Should it persist, when it quits unexpectedly do you see any errors or alerts? If so, what are they exactly?

Do you use iCloud Bookmarks in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Safari?

Let us know and we'll take it from there, cheers.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 7:31 AM in response to TheAnneSiegel

Welcome TheAnneSiegel,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, Safari quits unexpectedly when you try to launch the app. We'll do our best to assist.

For issues with launching Safari, try relaunching it while holding down the Shift key on your keyboard. This should remove the app's saved state and hopefully resolve it.

What happens if you boot to safe mode and test it out: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Should it persist, when it quits unexpectedly do you see any errors or alerts? If so, what are they exactly?

Do you use iCloud Bookmarks in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Safari?

Let us know and we'll take it from there, cheers.

Nov 12, 2021 10:08 AM in response to TheAnneSiegel

There have recently been many reports of a broad range of new problems on this support site about the latest release of Safari v15. It is included in the downloads for Big Sur and Catalina. If you are experiencing these problems, you can use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome and they will work for you until a newer version of Safari is released that resolves the problems.

The release of Apple’s Monterey OS has Safari v15.1  seems to also have some issues. The good news is that not all Macs seem to be affected.

Dec 20, 2021 7:02 AM in response to TheAnneSiegel

I have / had the same problem with Safari freezing the entire start-up process for my 2019 Macbook Pro right after installing Monterey.

I am using Chrome temporarily which helps.

After the start up process completes, I usually open Safari because that is my default browser.

I try to remember to quit Safari before shutting down the computer.

If I forget to quit Safari, on restart, as soon as the dock is operational, I quit Safari and the computer starts up normally. I can then later open Safari and it seems to work for now.

I keep a lot of tabs open and I suspect there may be a conflict with an operation on one of the pages sitting open as it tries to restart some process.

Waiting for a permanent fix.

Thoughts?

Paul

Dec 22, 2021 6:47 AM in response to destiny241

When you say it "removes the app's saved state", does that mean it will erase the history & all open tabs & windows?

I, too just updated to Safari 15.2, and while I was not happy when 15.1 opened with all two dozen previously opened tabs/windows showing only the start up page, for every single one, this new "update" crashes every time I try to open it!

What is wrong with Apple, releasing updates that always prove to be full of bugs, are they using their users' misery to help them test all these updates, which appear to obviously be released before they are checked out... Apple used to be so much more reliable than this...

Safari 15 crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.