Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All aplication crash when playing audio

Good afternoon Gents,

I have just recently updated to OS Catalina. All was running good, when sudenly macbook crashed, restarted and after that I can not play video in Safari or Chrome. In chrome it says Error in playing audio, restart you computer.

Any application like: Music, VLC player or 5kplayer will crusch when I try to open any video file.

Do you have any idea how can I sort this out?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:49 PM

Good afternoon.

• If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

• If safe boot fails to resolve the problem, I recommend that you run an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac. EtreCheck is a diagnostic app that gathers important info about your hardware and software and reports it back to you. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Be sure to enable full disk access when you install the app. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

You must upload the full report. To see how, please click >  How to use Add Text when posting… EtreCheck Report.

We can use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 2:49 PM in response to nikolaj256

Good afternoon.

• If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

• If safe boot fails to resolve the problem, I recommend that you run an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac. EtreCheck is a diagnostic app that gathers important info about your hardware and software and reports it back to you. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Be sure to enable full disk access when you install the app. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

You must upload the full report. To see how, please click >  How to use Add Text when posting… EtreCheck Report.

We can use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

Nov 11, 2021 3:35 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi D.I. Johnson,

I tried to do in safe mode and the only diference was that, I could play video in Chrome without any sound. Rest of the aps were still crushing.

Another strange thing is, that i could give full access to the EtreCheck only in safe mode. While running normal mode it was giving an error as soon as I was entering password to modify settings.

Bellow you can find a report.

Nov 12, 2021 12:28 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi D.I. Johnson,

I have run First aid in recovery mode and everything looks fine.

I have removed chrome browser together with other software, Steam, and VPN's

I need NTFS to be able to write/read on NTFS drives.

I still have the same problems:

I can not watch youtube or any video service in Safari.

I can not modify any settings witch are password protected. When I enter password, Settings app just restarts.

I can not run any App that is using audio: Music, VLC, 5kplayer. Now also App store is crushing.

Please find bellow new report from the Etrecheck

Nov 11, 2021 4:40 PM in response to nikolaj256

Great job getting the EtreCheck report posted.

I don't see many red flags, but I will comment on a few things.

• SSD: for some reason EtreCheck has identified the read/write speeds of your drive as being low. That may be, but would not necessarily cause crashing, unless the drive is having some sort of failure. You can use Disk Utility (when you're booted in recovery mode) to run First Aid on the drive and see if it finds some problem with the volume directories. Also you might consider running Drive DX diagnostics to check the health of the drive.

• Chrome browser… is a known resource hog on the Mac. If you must use it, make sure you are running the latest version. When you use it, keep open tabs to a minimum. Quit the app whenever you can. I'd recommend also that you look at alternatives such as Brave or Firefox. Safari is the only browser I use, don't need anything else usually. Sometimes Firefox, but that's rare.

• You should setup and use Time Machine to backup your Mac. Apparently it is not configured. Obv this is not a performance problem, just a layer of security for your data. And as your Mac is showing signs of trouble it would behoove you to make sure things are backed up.

• VPN software is probably not needed on the Mac. VPN software is not as secure as it is marketed to be. Unless you are required by an employer or institution to install a VPN it is best to stay away from their use.

• Uninstall cyberghost vpn software

• Uninstall aviraphantomvpn software

• Do you need NTFS? Are you connecting to NTFS volumes that require it? If not, you should uninstall the paragon NTFS software.

• Are you gaming? If not, I recommend that you uninstall the Steam software.

• Uninstall any 3rd-party software that you don't regularly use.

Beyond this, I find nothing else that jumps out and screams that it needs attention.

All aplication crash when playing audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.