Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft office apps keeps crashing after macOS Monterey update

After upgrading my macOS to Monterey, my Microsoft apps keep crashing (outlook, word, excel, MS teams, etc). The interesting bit is all the Microsoft apps crash & exit at the same time. For example, If I have outlook and Word open at the same time, when Word crashes & exits, within a few milliseconds my outlook crashes and exits as well. The issue seems to be isolated only to MS office app, rest others are fine.

I tried uninstalling the whole MS office apps suite, and reinstalled again. I cleared the 'com.microsoft.' folders in '~/Library/Containers/' as I saw some blogs mentioning about it.

Does anyone else have had a similar issue ? If yes, I would love to hear if you are able to fix it.

Thanks heaps.

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 9:00 AM

aravy4u wrote:

After upgrading my macOS to Monterey, my Microsoft apps keep crashing (outlook, word, excel, MS teams, etc). The interesting bit is all the Microsoft apps crash & exit at the same time. For example, If I have outlook and Word open at the same time, when Word crashes & exits, within a few milliseconds my outlook crashes and exits as well. The issue seems to be isolated only to MS office app, rest others are fine.

I tried uninstalling the whole MS office apps suite, and reinstalled again. I cleared the 'com.microsoft.' folders in '~/Library/Containers/' as I saw some blogs mentioning about it.

Does anyone else have had a similar issue ? If yes, I would love to hear if you are able to fix it.

Thanks heaps.

Verify your third party software is compatible—

Big Sur—Microsoft 365 for Mac apps that run natively on Macs with M1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/12/15/4-ways-microsoft-365-is-improving-the-experience-for-mac-users/

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/upgrade-macos-to-continue-receiving-microsoft-365-and-office-for-mac-updates-16b8414f-08ec-4b24-8c91-10a918f649f8

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

https://support.microsoft.com

Contact a third party vendor

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 9:00 AM in response to aravy4u

aravy4u wrote:

Thanks heaps.

Verify your third party software is compatible—

Big Sur—Microsoft 365 for Mac apps that run natively on Macs with M1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/12/15/4-ways-microsoft-365-is-improving-the-experience-for-mac-users/

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/upgrade-macos-to-continue-receiving-microsoft-365-and-office-for-mac-updates-16b8414f-08ec-4b24-8c91-10a918f649f8

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

https://support.microsoft.com

Contact a third party vendor

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

Dec 9, 2021 4:30 AM in response to wilits

Hi - I'm have almost the same problem except it's just Outlook that crashes within a second of starting up.

I've tried re-installing, clearing caches, creating new profiles, deleting the containers file mentioned above, but still the same issue. It seems to be crashing when syncing as if I turn the wifi off it doesn't crash, but obviously renders it useless. I don't know how to resolve this :(

It was fine a few days ago! I've trawled Google and can't see what else to try.

This is my crash report below. Grateful for any solutions in simple language as it's driving me doolally :)

Nov 13, 2021 5:52 PM in response to aravy4u

In my case, after upgrading to Monterey, all Office 365 apps hang (Application not responding) when invoked. The funny thing is - remove-restart-reinstall from app store makes it work fine - TILL THE MAC IS RESTARTED. After restart the apps go back to the same behaviour - unresponsive when started.

It used to work fine in Big Sur.

BTW - Microsoft has not indicated official support for Monterey yet.

Nov 24, 2021 9:25 PM in response to dipan66

Nearly the same here, dipan66.

Except reinstalling the Office apps (I install from my organization's Office 365's site) doesn't seem to make a difference for me. All of the apps hang when I try to open them: before resinstalling, after reinstalling; before rebooting, after rebooting; before rebooting in safe mode, after rebooting in safe mode; before reinstalling Monterey entirely, after reinstalling Monterey entirely. What a mess.

Perhaps related: None of my widgets work, either. Most of them—really all of them except stocks and calendar—display no data, only the word "Failed." And even the stocks app and calendar app seem off. The stocks app doesn't show the images in the article previews, as it normally does. The calendar app keeps popping up the same reminder over and over again.

Take me back to simpler times when my computer worked. Like, say, a day ago before I downloaded the new OS.

Dec 13, 2021 8:56 AM in response to wilits

Update: I factory-reset my MacBook Air, and, after additional troubleshooting, that did the trick. I'm running Monterey now without my previous issues (like Microsoft Office not working and the data on the widgets not populating).

Before my factory reset, I backed up my data on the cloud. I also had to use another device to learn how to reinstall the operating system—as an untrained user, this was a little tricky; mostly it had to do with reseting the computer over and over while holding certain combinations of keys. Unhelpfully, I can't recall which keys wound up working (some combos didn't help), but the winning formula was something like command + control + r. To be fair, there are only a couple combinations that one would hold while restarting the computer without an OS installed, but because there's no installed OS, there's no display of what the options are or which one you've chosen.

After a few hours of troubleshooting and waiting on the reinstallation, I am happy to say my Mac and its apps are functioning again, this time on Monterey.

Jan 25, 2022 11:11 AM in response to aravy4u

I have multiple users who've upgraded to Monetrey and having ALL sorts of issues with Office. Freezing apps, etc. I had Microsoft call one user the other day. She was on the phone with them for over 2 hours and THEY can't even figure out wha's going on.

This is what drives me INSANE as an admin. Apple feels like it needs a major OS update every year, but they release it without giving it to any developers! They're always playing catch-up. It's ridiculous.

Feb 16, 2022 5:46 PM in response to aravy4u

Same problem here with Monterey. I thought it was Microsoft Office 365 but more likely Monterey.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office 365 from a different source didn't help. Both Word and Excel hang, with the spinning wheel. I force quit and they don't quit. Finally, if the program finally quits, the document stays open and spins.

Driving me crazy!

Microsoft office apps keeps crashing after macOS Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.