📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage freezing and crashing while iPhone is charging

I started noticing last week that my iMessage app has been freezing and crashing a lot at times. After some time I realized that it is only when my iPhone is being charged. When it is not charging everything works fine. I’m not sure what is going on here. My phone is on the latest iOS as well

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 8:10 PM

9 replies

Nov 12, 2021 4:12 PM in response to ShadowRS400

Hi ShadowRS400,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your Messages app freezes when your iPhone is connected to the charger.

Does this happen on multiple chargers? That can help determine if the issue might be related to the power source. Are you using a case? If so, try without your case as well.

Next, try the steps from If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen which can help with intermittent freezing issues.

Take care.

Nov 13, 2021 10:56 PM in response to faith185

Hello faith,

no it doesn’t. I’ve been using the same naked charger for a while. I have the same one in my car too that I use. And I always use these ones. No other chargers. But this issue just started happening last week.

i also don’t use a case on my phone. I have a MagSafe wallet accessory that I have but I’ve tried it without it on as well and same issue.

i have tried that method to hard reset the phone. That’s what I do to get the messaging app working again. Once it freezes and crashes it won’t work again until I reboot the phone. Whenever it does freeze/crash everything on my phone and all other apps still work apart from iMessage.

Dec 1, 2021 4:27 PM in response to ShadowRS400

I've gone three days of successful charging without Messages freezing up. After two weeks of frustration, phone restores and resets, lost messages, etc., I was running out of options. Since I know for sure that Messages freezes on a 20W charger, 30W charger, and when connected to a mac but NOT when I'm charging in the car, I tried an Apple 5W charger at home...no freezing, at least so far.

Until Apple fixes this, a 5W charger might be a way to avoid the issue.

Dec 10, 2021 6:23 PM in response to ShadowRS400

Exactly the same problem. It just started last week for me on my iPhone 12 Pro. Was fine and all of a sudden it started up. Apps crash. It’s fine if I unplug it and restart it. But if I plug it in I cannot use messages. It’s really frustrating. I’m so sick if this kind of thing. It’s such a time water to have to deal with the techs and call and on and on. They should just send you a new phone and be done with it. They make billions.

Dec 23, 2021 2:52 PM in response to ShadowRS400

For 2 weeks I have noticed that WHILE my iPhone 12 is charging and AFTER I remove it from the charger, my messages APP doesn't work. It doesn't open at all. I have no case. The phone is in better than average condition. The lighting port is clean and the charger is plugged into a regular outlet in my house. This issue also happens when I use my car charger. This is annoying and the only fix I found is to completely shut my phone off then turn it back on.

iMessage freezing and crashing while iPhone is charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.