Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse loses scroll function

Hi all,

I'm having a rather peculiar issue with my brand new MacBook Air (M1). Along with the MacBook, I purchased a Magic Mouse 2. Excited, I started my MacBook, configured it, did the necessary updates (Monterey) and installed the software I needed for my work (i.e. MS Office).

However, from the start, my Magic Mouse was losing its scroll functionality when the MacBook wakes up from its sleep mode. There is still a working Bluetooth connection (the pointer and button work perfectly), but scrolling doesn't work. Power cycling the mouse fixes the issue for that moment, but of course I don't want to have to power cycle the mouse every time I want to use my computer...

To rule out a faulty mouse, I also tried another Magic Mouse 2 (the one connected to my iMac M1, which does not have any problems at all), but the problem remains... The mouse bought with the MacBook works fine connected to the iMac also. Therefore my (preliminary) conclusion is that there's something odd with the MacBook...

I've tried all the tips and tricks I found on the internet regarding this issue (Bluetooth function, pairing etc.), but none of them work permanently: every time the MacBook comes out of sleep mode, scrolling doesn't work anymore.

I'm not a total noob to computing (coming from a MS world), but this one puzzles me.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to narrow down the issue further and perhaps even have a solution? I'm thinking of totally reinstalling my MacBook to start with a clean slate, but it's a rather rigorous solution imo.

Used hard- and software:

MacBook Air 2020 (M1)

Magic Mouse 2

MacOS Monterey

Some big vendor software like MS Office, Adobe Reader, WhatsApp desktop (all which work flawlessly on my iMac with Monterey)

Thank you all very much in advance for any tips!

Kind regards,

Ramón

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 5:56 PM

Hi RamónAA,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to help with this trouble you're having with the Magic Mouse 2. First, when the issue occurs is the scrolling checkbox checked in System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Mouse options? If the scrolling checkbox is checked, does unchecking and checking it again resolve the issue? Does turning Bluetooth off and back on from the System Preferences restore scrolling temporarily? We'd also like to have you boot the computer is safe mode using the steps here:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Should this continue in safe mode, try replicating the trouble in a new user account. Follow the instructions here to set that up:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If this issue remains after testing in a new user account, the next step will be to get in touch with Apple Support for additional assistance:

Get Support

Best regards!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 5:56 PM in response to RamónAA

Hi RamónAA,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to help with this trouble you're having with the Magic Mouse 2. First, when the issue occurs is the scrolling checkbox checked in System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Mouse options? If the scrolling checkbox is checked, does unchecking and checking it again resolve the issue? Does turning Bluetooth off and back on from the System Preferences restore scrolling temporarily? We'd also like to have you boot the computer is safe mode using the steps here:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Should this continue in safe mode, try replicating the trouble in a new user account. Follow the instructions here to set that up:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If this issue remains after testing in a new user account, the next step will be to get in touch with Apple Support for additional assistance:

Get Support

Best regards!

Nov 14, 2021 11:36 PM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric~F,

Thank you very much for your reply and help, very much appreciated!

It seems like starting up in safe mode resolved the issue!

First, after booting in safe mode, the issue did not appear after 2 consecutive wake-ups.

I then trusted booting again in normal mode to check what would happen and again, the mouse keeps its scrolling functionality in different apps, even after 4 wake-ups.

I'll keep checking the coming days with the use of other apps and combinations, but I trust this issue to be resolved.

Still a bit wondering how only booting in safe mode corrected the issue (I didn't re-install anything or adjusted settings), but I'm happy that it helped! ;-)

Regards, Ramón

Nov 18, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric~F,

Unfortunately after a few good wake-ups, the problem returned. I tried your suggestion to test it with another account, but the problem persisted.

I've contacted the Apple support desk and together we made a reset to the hibernation settings.

For now it seems the problem is solved, however it can also be time dependent (after an x amount of time the scrolling issue occurs). That's something I'll have to experience the following days...

If it still remains, I'll return to the Apple support desk.

Keep you posted!

Regards, Ramón

Nov 19, 2021 6:35 AM in response to Eric--F

I've had two telephone sessions with the support desk so far, where the last one resetted the SMC chip (turn off the MacBook, close the screen, wait for at least 30 seconds and boot again). Chances are this is the fix...

Also interesting, the problem only rises when the MacBook has been in sleep mode for at lease 1 - 1,5 hours. When it wakes up after a shorter sleep, the scrolling (and swiping between apps, I discovered today) functions perfectly.

We'll see if the resetting of the SMC chip fixes the problem, i'll keep you posted!

Regards, Ramón

Nov 19, 2021 6:51 AM in response to RamónAA

Nope... Unfortunately...

Again a phonecall to Apple Support: again disconnecting the mouse in bluetooth settings, but now: connecting and configuring the mouse via the lightning cable! (a new feature introduced with the magic mouse 2).

Fingers crossed... ;-)

Regards, Ramón

PS This thread is starting to look like a personal diary, but hey, hopefully it helps someone who has the same issue... ;-)

Magic mouse loses scroll function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.