Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPad think I have 22.5GB in “files” app when the app shows ther are ZERO files in this app???

Why does my brand new iPad show 22.5 GB being uses in the files app, yet I go to the files app and there are no files there????????????????? 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 12:11 PM

JPFLECK18,

Thank you for clarifying that for us, we understand better what you are seeing. Since this is a brand new iPad, and you've stored nothing in it, have you tried to delete the Files app and redownload it? See Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch for details.

If you are unable to correct the size, you will want to reach out to Apple Support. They can be reached by going to Get Support.

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2021 12:11 PM in response to JPFLECK18

JPFLECK18,

Thank you for clarifying that for us, we understand better what you are seeing. Since this is a brand new iPad, and you've stored nothing in it, have you tried to delete the Files app and redownload it? See Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch for details.

If you are unable to correct the size, you will want to reach out to Apple Support. They can be reached by going to Get Support.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2021 10:17 AM in response to JPFLECK18

Hello JPFLECK18,

We're happy to help out today with your iPad  in Apple Support Communities. It looks like there is a large amount of in Documents & Data in the Files app.

That was a good article associated with your post, Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Do you have iCloud Drive enabled? Set up iCloud Drive

Take a look at what’s showing for your iPad’s storage by going to Settings > General > iPad Storage. What is it showing there for the used amount of storage?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Take care!

Nov 13, 2021 8:30 PM in response to jdo_apple

That did the job!

HOWEVER I still have to wonder why the brand new ipad came with 25Gb “mysteriously” eaten up by nothing… this rubs me wrong way, because we had to buy this new iPad because the old one ran out of memory, largely because fully 1/3 of the memory in the old iPad was used the vague and unshrinkable “system” and “other” categories (I see “other” has been replaced with “iPad iOS” on the newer iPad by it is no less shady, Apple!)

Seriously. BS like this is sketchy AF and really disappointing (but not surprising coming from a company so desperate to develop/cling to a monopoly) 🥺😞 I mean I appreciate the assistance in resolving this… but people who aren’t as tech savvy as myself (and I am the last person anyone would call “tech savvy” 😂) get screwed out of memory they pay for, and that’s totally not cool, Apple.

Why does iPad think I have 22.5GB in “files” app when the app shows ther are ZERO files in this app???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.