Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini M1 hdmi monitor

Just opened my new mini M1 today replacing my Late 2014 mini. My monitor was connected to my old mini via the Thunderbolt port. New mini I am trying to use the HDMI port sine I don’t have the adapter from the apple thunderbolt port to this new usb-c port. I plugged the monitor in via a usb 2.0 cable and nothing, monitor said no signal detected on my HDMI1 port, so changed the plug to my HDMI2 port and made sure the monitor was set to use the correct HDMI Port, still nothing. Bought a new GE HDMI 2.1 cable and did the whole HDMI port dance again, still nothing. My monitor is an 2015 model LG 34” ultra wide, could it be my monitor is too old to work with the M-1? What am I missing?

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 7:01 AM

Happy to hear and thank you for updating. Since your mini is brand new, I would schedule a repair appointment to check out the mini's HDMI port. If it's broken, it'll be repaired at no cost to you, or the mini replaced for free.

8 replies

Nov 12, 2021 8:04 PM in response to den.thed

Model number is 34UM95-PD, manufactured January 2015, I have a TV with HDMI, but will have to take it down to get to the HDMI ports, I use all of the TV’s in the house wirelessly. I found a TB3 to HDMI cable available at the local Walmart I will pick up tomorrow and see if that will solve the problem using a different port on the mini, I also have a new 34” LG curved monitor that is supposed to be here tomorrow. Wanted to use two monitors so needed the new cable anyway. If nothing else works, guess I will make the couple hour trip to the closest apple store to see if they can help..

Nov 13, 2021 9:06 AM in response to den.thed

New USB-C cable to HDMI Port on my monitor, no change. I know the mini is trying to communicate with the monitor because the monitor comes out of sleep mode to a grey screen, but then goes back to sleep then awakens again a few seconds later. The HDMI to HDMI cable is 4 foot long, and the USB-C cable is six foot long. Connected the mini to one of my Samsung Q series TV’s via the HDMI to HDMI cable and it worked fine. Guess my monitor is just to old for the new mini. I hooked my old mini back to the monitor via The Thunderbolt port and works fine. Guess I will wait on the new monitor to arrive today and go from there.

Nov 18, 2021 6:36 AM in response to hcsitas

Well, tried shorter HDMI cable, 18" certified cable, did not work. My new monitor was lost in shipping, so waiting for another one to arrive. While waiting, I ordered a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, it arrived yesterday. I plugged my old monitor in via the Thunderbolt port and it came up with no problems. Once I got the new Mini setup and restored, I tried changing over the the HDMI port from the TB port and the monitor still does not work with the new Mini. I plugged my old mini into my monitor via the HDMI port and it worked fine, in fact I can have both mini's up at the same time using Picture beside Picture feature of my monitor. Don't know what the problem is between the new mini and my old monitor, but it is working now so I am happy. Decided to change monitors since I had to reorder the new one and ordered a curved monitor with Thunderbolt ports since I know it works. Thanks for all the help that was given in trying to address my problem, I really appreciate this communities willingness to help others.

Mini M1 hdmi monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.