Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have ElCaptan 10.11.6 and cannot update Pages.

Unable to update Pages. I am running ElCapitan 10.11.6. on macbook Pro mid 2009. Cannot run anything more than what I am running on this Macbook Pro. Is there a Pages update available ?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 6:03 AM

No. The last compatible version of Pages for macOS 10.11.6 was Pages v5.6.2. If you have that version of Pages, you are done updating it. Since the current (v11.2) version of Pages in the Mac App Store requires macOS 11.* (Big Sur) or later, you would need a minimum of a Late-2013 MacBook Pro to install that operating system and the current version of Pages.

If you have Pages v5.6 or v5.6.1, launch the Mac App Store and be signed in with your Apple ID. Then press the option key while clicking the Purchases tab on the App Store application. In the Purchases panel, if Pages has an update button, click it. You will receive a dialog informing you that you need a newer version of macOS. Click that, and if you are fortunate, another dialog will appear offering to update Pages to the last compatible version (v5.6.2).

With Pages/Numbers/Keynote, Apple has exhibited a pattern of tying certain versions to new operating system releases, which in turn, also have minimum hardware requirements. While your mid-2009 MacBook Pro may be working perfectly, there is an opportunity cost in keeping a 12-year-old Mac and expecting newer application software.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2021 6:03 AM in response to squealworks3

No. The last compatible version of Pages for macOS 10.11.6 was Pages v5.6.2. If you have that version of Pages, you are done updating it. Since the current (v11.2) version of Pages in the Mac App Store requires macOS 11.* (Big Sur) or later, you would need a minimum of a Late-2013 MacBook Pro to install that operating system and the current version of Pages.

If you have Pages v5.6 or v5.6.1, launch the Mac App Store and be signed in with your Apple ID. Then press the option key while clicking the Purchases tab on the App Store application. In the Purchases panel, if Pages has an update button, click it. You will receive a dialog informing you that you need a newer version of macOS. Click that, and if you are fortunate, another dialog will appear offering to update Pages to the last compatible version (v5.6.2).

With Pages/Numbers/Keynote, Apple has exhibited a pattern of tying certain versions to new operating system releases, which in turn, also have minimum hardware requirements. While your mid-2009 MacBook Pro may be working perfectly, there is an opportunity cost in keeping a 12-year-old Mac and expecting newer application software.

I have ElCaptan 10.11.6 and cannot update Pages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.