Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upload .mov file to edit in iMovie

Hi, I have a number of video files that have been converted from Hi8 tape to digital with a .mov file extension - looking at the detail in QuickTime, the video format is Apple ProRes 422 HQ. However these files are not recognised by iMovie. What is the easiest way to get them uploaded to iMovie so that I can edit them. I am after doing a bit more than just clipping, which I can do in QT.

Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 9:15 AM

Apple Pro Res is compatible with iMovie. The .mov format is a bucket that contains the codecs that make up the movie. Not all .mov files are the same and possibly can contain codecs that are not compatible with iMovie

Make a duplicate of one of the clips and try converting it to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. See if iMovie recognizes it.

-- Rich

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2021 9:15 AM in response to carlwilts

Apple Pro Res is compatible with iMovie. The .mov format is a bucket that contains the codecs that make up the movie. Not all .mov files are the same and possibly can contain codecs that are not compatible with iMovie

Make a duplicate of one of the clips and try converting it to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. See if iMovie recognizes it.

-- Rich

Nov 15, 2021 9:16 AM in response to LB757

Your issues may be different than the original poster in this thread. I suggest that you start a new thread and provide your details, including what versions of iMovie and operating system that you are using, and whether you got any error messages. That way others with the same issue can access it.

-- Rich

How to upload .mov file to edit in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.