Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music downloads.

I am having problems with my Apple Music downloads. I was looking at my storage, and saw that my downloaded playlist of around 1200 songs was using up 34 gigabytes of storage. The problem, however, is that my friend has the same exact playlist downloaded on his iPhone, but it is only using up 10 gigabytes for the same playlist of 1200 songs. My question is why my iPhone is having this take up 3 times more space than my friend’s iPhone? I suspect that I may have downloaded a higher quality version of these songs, which is why it has taken up so much space. If so, is there any way to transfer over my current high quality downloads to the lower quality ones? Or will I have to delete all my downloads and redownload the lower quality ones? If that’s the case, is there an option in settings to disable the iPhone’s ability to download these higher quality versions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iPhone SE

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 5:52 PM

Hi Clarkrr!

You can check to see if you have Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless audio downloaded to your device. Play a song from within Apple Music and look to see if it says Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless above the audio slider.

To remove Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless songs, you can get rid of them all at once by pressing and holding on your playlist > click “Remove” > Remove Downloads. Follow the step below then go back to your playlist and tap the Down arrow in the top right corner of the playlist to re-download your playlist.

You can turn off Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless music by going to Settings > Music > Audio Quality > deselect Lossless Audio or turn it off only for Downloads.

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2021 5:52 PM in response to Clarkrr

Hi Clarkrr!

You can check to see if you have Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless audio downloaded to your device. Play a song from within Apple Music and look to see if it says Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless above the audio slider.

To remove Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless songs, you can get rid of them all at once by pressing and holding on your playlist > click “Remove” > Remove Downloads. Follow the step below then go back to your playlist and tap the Down arrow in the top right corner of the playlist to re-download your playlist.

You can turn off Lossless or Hi-Res Lossless music by going to Settings > Music > Audio Quality > deselect Lossless Audio or turn it off only for Downloads.

Have a great day!

Apple Music downloads.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.