Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV subtitles OFF or AUTO

I watch a lot of foreign shows and I want to hear the language spoken in its native tongue, and I also want subtitles in english. I just learned to make sure that under AUDIO the language I want to HEAR the show is checked. Then I go to subtitles and make sure english is checked. But this does not always work. IN Apple TV Setting I go to Audio/Video and go down to ssubtitles and I am offered 2 choices there-Auto or Off. In addition to languages. Which setting do I use? Auto or Off? What do they do and how do they work? I have gotten conflicting answers fro Apple Support. So I am asking the Community for help. Thanks

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 9:32 AM

5 replies

Nov 18, 2021 7:11 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi, in talking with Apple Store people in DC they said that 1: the major streaming networks are themselves changing the on-screen options. Notice all those symnbols appearing at the bottom? As even they get conflicting advice from Apple Support Central, they said to just keep switching till I get what I want. They did suggest going to AUDIO and selecting the language I want, then going to Subtitles and choosing english. This has been a issue in DC where many people speak multiple languages and will watch in diffeernt languages and also listen a different languages. They have suggested that OFF turns OFF your ability to see the subtitles. So you can set audio to italian and not get any subtitles. Auto from what thery understand will give you english subtitles, if that is what you choose, when watching a show in a different language. But again, their opinions differ!

Nov 20, 2021 6:29 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks, and I agree. And with the streaming chanels "revising" their on-screen options they seem to work differently with the Apple TVOS. I just got rid of 2 streaming channels because of this. The aggravation was not worth it at all. Fewer channels is better in my opinion. And I watch a lot of foreign tv shows and movies. The french and germans have some excellent titles. All I really want to do is watch some tv. I was told by a Apple Store employee to not allow Apple TV to update if I am happy with the way it works and looks for me. This latest 15.1.1 revision is not to my liking. I am hooking up a old Apple TV box that I will use instead of this new one with 15.1.1 and give it away. The enemy of good, and Apple TV was very good, is better. Apple proves this point all the time.

Dec 3, 2021 5:49 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have talked with the BIG 3 services-Netflix, Hulu and HBOMax and they are sort of aware that the interface for this is changing, and they seem also to not know who should do what, or be responsibe is the better word. The main issue they brought up was that Apple TV has its onw settings, then they also have their own settings. And no one seems to know who's Settings take precedence. This will not happen on any of my PowerBooks, just on the Apple TV. It was suggested I Screen Mirror instead where I control all these settings. Kind of a pain! But the networks are aware this is an issue. These are my choices to make, not anyones else. And switching between these settings should be easy. But it is not and the changes are not consistent either. I can not tell you how many tines I have to turn OFF subtitles on South Park, before each show when I watch them on auto-play. Easch new episode I have to turn them off, and I can watch 10 in a row!

Apple TV subtitles OFF or AUTO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.