Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 11.4 Battery Not Charging

When Switching first to OS 11.6.1 the battery icon started showing 'not charging' and was stable at 92% charge.

Resetting the SMC and resetting the PRAM and NVRAM while working initially stopped to resolve the situation, so the battery level became stuck at 92% charge and shows 'not charging'.

After updating to Monterey 12.0.1 the battery charge level has dropped in stages and is now stuck at 85% and shows 'not charging'.

I always use the Mac with the power adaptor unit connected, so the battery draining doesn't make sense. Especially as the battery is not recharging.

There is now a gradual reduction in battery charge from the previous 92% to the current 85% - so it's concerning how this will progress.

Any ideas regarding this condition with the battery charge and how to resolve it would be most welcome. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 6:24 AM

Hi,

Try to check your battery and charger with Apple Diagnostics if it reports battery related error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 15, 2021 6:39 AM in response to Memoire

Memoire wrote:

When Switching first to OS 11.6.1 the battery icon started showing 'not charging' and was stable at 92% charge.

Resetting the SMC and resetting the PRAM and NVRAM while working initially stopped to resolve the situation, so the battery level became stuck at 92% charge and shows 'not charging'.

After updating to Monterey 12.0.1 the battery charge level has dropped in stages and is now stuck at 85% and shows 'not charging'.

I always use the Mac with the power adaptor unit connected, so the battery draining doesn't make sense. Especially as the battery is not recharging.

There is now a gradual reduction in battery charge from the previous 92% to the current 85% - so it's concerning how this will progress.

?

Mac notebook computers with an Intel processor use battery health management, a feature designed to improve the lifespan of your computer's battery.

Click the battery icon in the upper right if you need 100% charge for portability .

"When battery health management is turned on, your battery's maximum charging capacity might be limited. Although the feature is designed to improve your battery's lifespan, the limited maximum capacity might update your battery status menu to indicate a need for service. Your Mac calculates when to recommend service for your battery based on battery health management being continuously enabled."

The battery health management software (BHM) can put on hold your charging this is the new normal.

It interpolates your usage pattern, and can hold it at 92% 84% 72% etc. however it deems best.

Click the battery icon in the upper right if you need 100% charge for portability

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced with macOS10.15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

The rule of thumb—If you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need portability then run on battery.

Nov 18, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Memoire

Memoire wrote:

What is confusing is this situation of the battery not charging and charge falling to 92% that started with the latter updates of Big Sur, along with resetting the SMC and resetting the PRAM and NVRAM ceasing to be a solution. WIth OS Monteray the battery charge dropped even more to 85% and in the recent days to 84%. If this is stable I haven't much concern as I always use the power adaptor, but the gradual decline is annoying as is the orange light on the power adaptor.

You do not say what exact Mac this is...

This is the new normal.

The battery health management software (BHM) can put on hold your charging this is the new normal.

It interpolates your usage pattern, and can hold it at 92% 88% 84% 72% etc. however it deems best. If you need 100% the click open the BATT icon in the upper right menu bar.

Battery Health Management was introduced with Catalina and only works on a Mac with a T2 chip or newer

Mac models with the Apple T2 Security Chip

"When battery health management is turned on, your battery's maximum charging capacity might be limited. Although the feature is designed to improve your battery's lifespan, the limited maximum capacity might update your battery status menu to indicate a need for service. Your Mac calculates when to recommend service for your battery based on battery health management being continuously enabled."

About battery health management in Mac notebooks— introduced with macOS10.15.5

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

If you just upgraded your macOS ...(?) it can take 3 weeks+ for the macOS to learn your computer habits and bring your charge down to an optimized level. This is not an issue.

the rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery—this is how you optimize your battery charging and extend the working life of your battery by reducing the cycle count.

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

Nov 18, 2021 8:02 AM in response to Memoire

Memoire wrote:

I hadn't mentioned the Mac Model as that was in the forum setting so I wrongly assumed it would be shown, this computer is a MacBook Pro (Retina 13 inch - Early 2015)

I tried clicking the battery icon in the upper right of the menu bar as suggested, but this didn't make any difference.

I don't use the computer without the power adaptor, so other than the battery showing only 84% charge and the annoying orange light on the power adaptor connector I guess there isn't much to be of concern.

Clicking the battery Icon in the menu bar doesn't seem to make any difference yet; also the various resources online stating to unclick the battery saving option in the battery preferences is null and void - as there is no such option with Monterrey on this MacBook

Your MacBook Pro (Retina 13 inch - Early 2015) does not have Apple T2 Security Chip .

If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging” 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-battery-status-is-not-charging-mh20876/11.0/mac/11.0

If your Mac battery won’t charge - Intel Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-battery-wont-charge-mh29198/mac

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

Learn how to optimize the life of the battery in your Mac notebook, fix battery issues, and get service.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

Nov 18, 2021 7:34 AM in response to kaz-k

I appreciate the information kaz-k - I haven't tried the 'Diagnostics test yet, but plan to do so at the weekend.

What is confusing is this situation of the battery not charging and charge falling to 92% that started with the latter updates of Big Sur, along with resetting the SMC and resetting the PRAM and NVRAM ceasing to be a solution. WIth OS Monteray the battery charge dropped even more to 85% and in the recent days to 84%. If this is stable I haven't much concern as I always use the power adaptor, but the gradual decline is annoying as is the orange light on the power adaptor.

Nov 18, 2021 7:56 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for the explanation leroydouglas, much appreciated.

I hadn't mentioned the Mac Model as that was in the forum setting so I wrongly assumed it would be shown, this computer is a MacBook Pro (Retina 13 inch - Early 2015)

I tried clicking the battery icon in the upper right of the menu bar as suggested, but this didn't make any difference.

I don't use the computer without the power adaptor, so other than the battery showing only 84% charge and the annoying orange light on the power adaptor connector I guess there isn't much to be of concern.

The new normal of the 'The battery health management software' that you mentioned is logical from some perspectives, but some tweaks to that software like the power adaptor connector showing the 'normal' green colour, along with the batter menu bar icon showing (BHM) battery energy saving as 'ON' would be more logical to me. The current "Battery Is Not Charging' - just causes concern.

Clicking the battery Icon in the menu bar doesn't seem to make any difference yet; also the various resources online stating to unclick the battery saving option in the battery preferences is null and void - as there is no such option with Monterrey on this MacBook.

OS 11.4 Battery Not Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.