Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not charging since upgrade to Monterey

Has anyone been able to resolve the issue with the battery not charging on MacBooks since "upgrading" to Monterey? My battery is less than a year old but since the OS upgrade, more often than not, the MacBook will not charge and when it does will not hold it. The fan is continually running, though the only thing to "drain" the battery keeps showing up as Chrome. Not only is the battery draining at a ridiculous rate, but it requires a complete reboot if I want the computer to charge at all. Otherwise, I get a message saying the computer is plugged into the wall but not charging. I just went through 3 days with the battery sitting at 4%. Am I better off trying to restore to previous OS?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 12:53 PM

Hi there cosia210,

It sounds like your MacBook Pro isn't charging as expected. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

To begin, what happens when you connect the charger to your MacBook Pro? Does the battery status say "Not Charging"? If so, you'll want to review the information here:

If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging”

Next, are you using a USB-C power adapter? If so, work through the suggested steps in this support article:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook

If the links above don't seem to help, you'll want to try the steps in this link, including having your MacBook Pro potentially serviced:

If your Mac battery won’t charge

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

We hope this information is helpful. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 12:53 PM in response to cosia210

Hi there cosia210,

It sounds like your MacBook Pro isn't charging as expected. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

To begin, what happens when you connect the charger to your MacBook Pro? Does the battery status say "Not Charging"? If so, you'll want to review the information here:

If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging”

Next, are you using a USB-C power adapter? If so, work through the suggested steps in this support article:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook

If the links above don't seem to help, you'll want to try the steps in this link, including having your MacBook Pro potentially serviced:

If your Mac battery won’t charge

Get help with your Mac notebook battery

We hope this information is helpful. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Take care.

Jan 20, 2022 4:23 PM in response to Sparks0829

Thanks for your post. I was getting the not charging message, but none of the scenarios described were applicable. I’ve been using the same charger since I got the laptop, so I don’t think it was that. It would also charge after a restart, but then I would have to restart every time I unplugged. It was a 2015 model, and the battery was only replaced last year, so I find it difficult to believe it’s a battery issue. I ended up doing a reinstall of Monterey and so far it seems to be going well. I was going to go back to Big Sur but it didn’t seem like it was an option. I guess I’ll be back if/when it starts happening again.

MacBook Pro not charging since upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.