📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype wants to access my login keychain, and won't take no for an answer

The issue is that every month or more, the Skype app for macOS will ask for keychain access. The only way to make it shut up is to enter my password and click the Always Allow button, then do this again a second time.

Checking the Keychain appears to yield a little information that may be helpful. Skype stores two unique keychain items, therefore it needs to be granted permission twice. Examining the two keychain items for their passwords appears to indicate that they're storing JSON blobs with base64 encoded security tokens, and also storing a Unix timestamp as an expiration time for these tokens. After the token expires, it appears that rather than rewriting the password to the new credential tokens, they simply delete the two keychain items and recreate them from scratch the next time they refresh the tokens. New tokens, new authorization all over again.

I'd bug Microsoft's Skype team about this, but they probably know how their own app works. Couldn't find a category in the support tags for third party software. Thought this information would be useful anyway.

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 12:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 2:14 AM

Thank's for the information. I been using the Skype app on Monterey for the last few weeks but haven't seen this issue. Insofar as Keychain Access, here's what I have on my system:

- Pie Lover

1 reply

Skype wants to access my login keychain, and won't take no for an answer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.