Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When trying to install OS Monterey, I am asked for my "Administrator password". When I enter my password from my applee account, the password is rejected. How can I log on?

When trying to install OSMonterey, I am asked for my "Administrator password". When I enter my Apple ID password, it is rejected. How do I sign in?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 7:42 AM

Are there more than one User Account on this computer ? Is the Monterey upGrade being installed from an Administrator Account.

The installation will require being done from the Owner ( Administrator ) of this Computer

5 replies

Nov 29, 2021 8:25 AM in response to tmfb93tmfb

When you setup a mac for the first time you are asked to make a User/ account, this will by default be an Administrator account, which you selected a username and a username password, you would also have been asked to make a password hint.

To check your account status open System Preferences> Users & Groups. Click on Password

and in the left hand column you will see your username and its status it should be Admin if you

have changed it to Standard at some point, you shouldn't have but if you had you could be in

some difficulty.

This is the password your mac is wanting, not your AppleID password

If you cannot remember your Admin password then read this,

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202860

Choose a password you are going to remember, write it down and hide it somewhere you will remember.

When trying to install OS Monterey, I am asked for my "Administrator password". When I enter my password from my applee account, the password is rejected. How can I log on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.