Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Monterey OSX causes loss of broadband connection

Since upgrading to Monterey OSX my Mac Mini has been losing broadband connection several times a day. Prior to the upgrade both wireless and broadband connection were rock solid. It does not lose wireless connection, just the broadband.

Since upgrading Connection is dropped at least 5X or 6X per day. Reboot solves it for a while but eventually it drops broadband again forcing yet another reboot. It's getting tedious.

Running Currently: Monterey OSX version 12.0.1 on a Mac Mini (M1, 2020), 16GB Ram.

Any suggestions to remedy?

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:38 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 17, 2021 8:20 AM in response to FightingIbis

Hi FightingIbis.

Thanks for taking the time to post your question to Apple Support Communities. We'd like to get a better understanding of what's happening with your Mac mini.

You mentioned that you're losing broadband connection, but you're not losing connection via Wi-Fi. Are you experiencing issues with your internet speed, losing connection when connected to the internet via wired connection, or something else? The more details you're able to provide the better equipped we'll be to assist you.

Your post states that this occurs 5 to 6 times a day, and that restarting your Mac temporarily resolves the issue. Does this happen when using a specific app or feature, or does it seem to be random?

Does it occur while the Mac is in safe mode? How to use safe mode on your Mac

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers!

Nov 22, 2021 6:53 AM in response to racheals14

Thanks for replying, racheals14,

I have tried Ethernet/wired connection for a couple days now and same symptoms, perhaps even more prevalence/frequency of dropped broadband connection.

I run typical apps for work: Full MS Office suite, including Outlook & Teams, Spark for personal email, WhatsApp and Signal for chat and Chrome and Safari Browsers. I can't tell if any of the Apps is the culprit or not. Seems random, but I'll try to work on isolating the Apps.

I will also try Safe Mode when I finish up work today and report back on results there. More to come...

Thanks again for caring!

Best,

FightingIbis

Jan 2, 2022 12:04 PM in response to FightingIbis

Reposting from Apple Community username: "pjarnts" who left this "fix" on the other big thread on this issue and I am reposting the fix that worked for me here, as well:

"I have been seeing this same issue, and to work around it I went into System Preferences -> Network and selected Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter in the left hand pane (there are actually two instances of the Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter and I chose the one that had a description of Please use “Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter” to control this DNS proxy configuration). Then click the options pull down menu (the button that has three dots and a down arrow) and chose Make Service Inactive) then click the Apply button. After that, DNS service was restored. Will continue to monitor for reoccurrence."

I have been using this approach for 24 hours now without loss of DNS or connectivity. First time in two months and since the Monterey update I have had this level of Broadband consistency.

Best,

FightingIbis

Jan 8, 2022 9:07 AM in response to FightingIbis

Adding to my own and others' earlier posts...

My employer also pushes a regular patch to Cisco AnyConnect about every day or two and this adds in the second instance of "Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter" in the Network Preferences column on the right side of the panel. Effectively, this breaks DNS and connectivity. A simple removal of this restores connectivity and I go back to the same time interval of a day or two of unfettered connectivity, then cycle repeats. I have observed this for the last week.

Better situation, but still not completely fixed. It appears Cisco has opened a case with Apple and we can only hope that this is addressed in an update soon. FWIW, I updated to the latest version of AnyConnect from my work.

I'll repost if there are any material changes to the situation and appreciate others' comments very much!

-FightingIbis

Upgrade to Monterey OSX causes loss of broadband connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.