Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Peloton Bike to iPhone/Health/Fitness sync: Duration incorrect

I recently upgraded from using the Peloton iOS and WatchOS apps on a third party bike (worked perfectly, BTW) and bought a regular Peloton Bike (NOT Bike+ with GymKit). As documented, the way to get Peloton Bike workout stats into Apple Health on the iPhone is top open the Peloton app on iOS after a completed workout, and the data will automatically sync over to Apple Health - and consequently close my rings on my Apple Watch 6.

This process works well for me in every respect, except one. The calories, cycling distance, heart rate, in fact EVERY stat flows over to Health perfectly except the workout time is always a few minutes "short"!

In other words, if I do a 30 minute workout, it shows in Health/Fitness as a Peloton 30 minute workout with duration 30:00:00 exactly - but my Apple Watch Exercise ring will only go to, say, 26 minutes.

I've set the Peloton app as "top priority" in settings for Active Calories and other elements in Apple Health. And even more weirdly, the underlying metadata for the workout shows 30:00:00 minutes! It's just that my Exercise ring will not show the full length of the workout. A 30 minute will show as 26 or 27; a 45 minute will show as 37 or 38.

I've already contacted Peloton and they are pretty hopeless with this level of tech depth - they simply keep advising me to power down and power up all my devices.

I'm not even sure if this is an Apple or a Peloton issue - but I figure the first step is to see if anyone else out there is experiencing the same issues.

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 11:37 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 17, 2021 11:06 AM in response to AlanH220

Hey AlanH220,

It appears that you're having a problem with the Health data that's syncing from the Peloton app on your iPhone. The workout duration isn't correct when synced to the Health app, and we're glad to provide assistance.

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support -- Even though the information in this article refers to an Apple Watch, it may also impact how the Peloton app and Health estimate the time. Make sure your personal information is up to date.

Also, Exercise credit is awarded for each minute the activity equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. If you have times where you warm up or cool down during the ride, the intensity during these periods may not qualify.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support -- Make sure that your iPhone is up to date. The current iOS version is 15.1. You can see which iOS version your iPhone is on under Settings > General > About.

How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support -- Make sure the Peloton app is also up to date.

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support -- If neither your iPhone or the app required updating, restart your iPhone and test the issue.

Peloton | Contact Us -- Since it worked correctly with your previous bike, please contact Peloton again for help with their product.

All the best.

Nov 17, 2021 11:46 AM in response to SnickZ.

Hi SnickZ -

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it but it doesn't really help.

I've already been updated to all the newest iOS and WatchOS versions, as well as all the requisite app versions. Booted and rebooted many times. Look at the metadata of the workout I posted - which clearly indicates a start time of 4:30 pm, an end time of 5:15 pm, and a duration of 45 minutes. That is what was sent over to Apple Health. The Indoor Cycle workout itself shows in Fitness and Health as a 45 minute workout, but the Exercise ring only moves to 38 minutes.

THAT is the problem; it's not the Bike, it's not the Peloton app - the issue is with the transmission of the output workout data from the Peloton app to Apple Health (which works correctly) and its population of the Exercise ring in Fitness and Apple Watch (which does NOT work correctly).

At this stage I'm just making inquiry to see if anyone else in these Communities has experienced such an issue or is aware of it. As I stated, I'm concurrently making the same inquiries at Peloton, but because the failure point in the process is getting Apple Fitness rings credit, it appears the issue is with Apple.

Nov 18, 2021 11:03 AM in response to SnickZ.

I had a long and interesting conversation with a senior engineer in Apple's Health and Fitness division yesterday, and I wanted to share what I learned with the Community. I think this might be a partial explanation for the behavior I've described.

The tech said that she *was* aware of some exercise routines -- Workouts generated by the Apple Watch, third party apps that shared data (like Peloton) and others -- that will carry a duration of XX minutes, but will only move the Exercise Ring by a different and shorter duration.

She said that the Exercise Ring moves not just in line with the duration of the registered workout, but with the "quality" (her term) of the workout.

She seemed to imply that, if in a 45 minute workout I was sitting still for 7 minutes, Apple Health might read that as only a 38 min workout in the Exercise Ring, even though it shows up as a 45 minute completed workout.

She further said that the only Apple Watch Workout "type" that always registers exactly the same time in the Exercise Ring as Workout duration is the "Other" workout type. (Peloton's workouts are registered as "Indoor Cycle").

Lastly, she said that the algorithm and methodology that the Exercise Ring employs to determine which activities are "Ring-Worthy" is confidential and a trade secret, and are not disclosed outside the Health engineering department (!!!!).

I pushed back on her a bit, saying that I have done slow 3 minute indoor walks around my living room that moved the Exercise Ring by 3 minutes, and that all Peloton workouts I did on my old (non-P) bike registered the time exactly in the Exercise Ring.

Frankly, the explanation sounded a bit far-fetched. And she agreed with me! But it is an issue she had seen before, and had some experience working with end users on the same problem.

For now, I will continue using the Peloton app as a "bridge" to Apple Health, but I may experiment with using my Apple Watch to manually measure an Indoor Biking Workout and to not use the heart rate strap with my Bike - and to switch OFF all of the read/write connections between the Peloton app and Apple Health.

Anyway - I wanted to pass along this interesting bit of information on this case. As I had guessed, the problem is on Apple's side, not Peloton's.

Peloton Bike to iPhone/Health/Fitness sync: Duration incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.