Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sort photos by filename?

I'm using Photos in Catalina 10.15.7.

I imported 1500 photos from my desktop which were taken by a professional photographer all on the same camera, hence, their desktop names are sequential (img0001, img0002, etc.)

I imported them into Photos, then selected all 1500 and created a new album to put them in.

When I look at that album, they are all out of order. I tried using View > Sort > Keep Sorted By Title, but that doesn't sort them correctly.

Why doesn't this work, and is there any solution? It's really annoying to be looking at the photos out of order, and have no way to fix them when they are obviously fixable.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 5:22 PM

3 replies

Nov 16, 2021 11:18 PM in response to David Das

Great, that you found it. If you are looking for more scripts, you can search this index for scripts:

Thematic Index to Photos for Mac related User Tips … - Apple Community

When passing photos from Photos to a script, it is currently best to select the items in "All Photos" or a top level album, not in a smart album or an album nested in a folder. Older Apple scripts are not working as expected since macOS 10.15 Catalina, if we select photos in albums nested in folders or in smart albums.

Photos 4 on Monterey has been the only version of Photos that treated the filenames correctly as default titles. In Photos 4 the "Sort by Title" would have sorted your photos correctly by the filename, if the photos did not have a custom title.

How to sort photos by filename?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.