Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos importing with high exposure into IMovie

I’m trying to import videos from my iPhone onto my MacBook but they aren’t importing correctly. The videos i took on my iPhone 11pro seem fine, but on my new iPhone 13 pro, For some reason, they are really bright, like the exposure is automatically set super high. Not sure what’s going on.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 8:14 PM

Hi,

You are the second person to post here in the last couple of days re the brightness problem with videos from the iPhone 13 Pro. I’m guessing that it is caused by the HDR (High Dynamic Range) feature on your iPhone, because the problem surfaced with an earlier iPhone version a few months ago. The there was an incompatability with the particular version of iMovie exhibiting the problem and the HDR feature. Try disabling the HDR feature before recording a video and see if that cures it.

Also, read this thread and the referenced thread within it for more information.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253369310

– Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 8:14 PM in response to Derkachd

Hi,

You are the second person to post here in the last couple of days re the brightness problem with videos from the iPhone 13 Pro. I’m guessing that it is caused by the HDR (High Dynamic Range) feature on your iPhone, because the problem surfaced with an earlier iPhone version a few months ago. The there was an incompatability with the particular version of iMovie exhibiting the problem and the HDR feature. Try disabling the HDR feature before recording a video and see if that cures it.

Also, read this thread and the referenced thread within it for more information.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253369310

– Rich

Nov 17, 2021 1:30 PM in response to Rich839

In case it isn't an HDR issue, try deleting preferences and see if that cures it.

To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You can also try using the free download, Handbrake, to re-encode the troublesome clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures issues.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

Try it with a duplicate of the clip so as to preserve your original.

-- Rich

Videos importing with high exposure into IMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.