Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

repair of iPad Air 4 - 2020 model

I have an iPad Air 4 2020 model bought in India which does not "power up". The 2 authorised service centres that I visited have stated that the product cannot be repaired and that I need to buy a new one. Why does apple not repair its products. No physical damage.

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 10:37 PM

What did the Service Centers tell you related to not being able to repair your iPad? I am sure that they provided an explanation for their diagnosis. Did you ask? What caused the damage to those iPads?

Axel F.

Similar questions

12 replies

Nov 17, 2021 9:50 PM in response to sandesh289

You are mistaken in your assumptions.

Apple or its users do NOT simoly throw away any device they sell.

Apple will take your damaged iPad, send it out to one if their third party contractor repair service facilities, and will take all the time that is neccessary to fix any internal components inside of that danaged iPad, put in into a new backcase, new screen and bezel and new iinternal battery and resell the device as a refurbished unit, at a discount, in Apple's online Clearance & Refurbished store Website locatuon.

Where do you think all of Apple’s refurbished devices and computers come from.

As far as the user goes, IF the iPad is NOT too old to trade-in, Apple's trade-in partner, may, also, either refurbish the device to resell, if the device is in good shape OR simply recycle all the components.

If a user has an old iOS that is no longer useful Apple has its own recycling program for all of their older devices and computers.

Apple has never been a completely throw away computer/device company.

Many of Apple's devices and computers are highly recyclable,

Tap this link below to learn more

Environment - Apple

Nov 16, 2021 10:38 PM in response to sandesh289

sandesh289 Said:

"repair of iPad Air 4 - 2020 model: I have an iPad Air 4 2020 model bought in India which does not "power up". The 2 authorised service centres that I visited have stated that the product cannot be repaired and that I need to buy a new one. Why does apple not repair its products. No physical damage."

-------

Two Things:

A. Troubleshooting Service:

Contact Apple Support:

These are user-tourer forums. No one here would know the direct answer. So, for that, ask Apple Support. They'll have the answer right up front, and will run you through the fix.

Apple Support Contact Info:

Why the Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

B. Troubleshooting iPad Power:

Try what is On these Links:

Nov 16, 2021 11:04 PM in response to Axel Foley

They clearly stated that "iPads cannot be repaired" at one of the centres. I visited a second service centre to check if they would do a better job I got the same standard reply stating iPad cannot be repaired. When I insisted they stated that since its out of warranty they can try running a diagnostic for which they would charge me 1400.00 India rupees but they also added that it would not be help my cause as the iPads will not be repaired.

I also had a chat with the online technical support service of apple in India but were not helpful in resolving the issue.

Nov 16, 2021 11:25 PM in response to TheLittles

I tried the basic trouble shooting tips from the apple website, checked with different cables and power blocks in case of cable or power block failure, had discussion with the apple technical support online and did visit the authorised service centres( 2 of them) and they had standard answer stating "iPads cannot be repaired". One of the service centre stated they can try running a diagnostics on the iPad but were quick to add that it would be waste of money as the iPad was out of warranty by 5 days and since its its not covered under warranty it would not be replaced with a new one.

Nov 17, 2021 6:49 PM in response to Axel Foley

hello Alex

I have never had such a experience with an authorised service Center. The reply from apple has also been very poor.

Both service centre’s I visited had absolutely no interest in entertaining the idea of running a diagnostic on the product. They just wanted me to buy a new one. Any idea of how to escalate the issue so as to get a sensible solution.

Nov 17, 2021 6:59 PM in response to sandesh289

sandesh289 Said:

"repair of iPad Air 4 - 2020 model: I tried the basic trouble shooting tips from the apple website, checked with different cables and power blocks in case of cable or power block failure, had discussion with the apple technical support online and did visit the authorised service centres( 2 of them) and they had standard answer stating 'iPads cannot be repaired'.[...]"

-------

Thank you for the update.

Diagnosing this:

What was the AASP's reasoning for just blowing off getting this repaired? Did you have the AASP diagnose it at all? I would expect a diagnosis, on the AASP's part.

Nov 17, 2021 7:14 PM in response to sandesh289

These centers told you the truth.

Apple and Apple Stores and Apple authourised service centers may not/do not repair iPads.

They will ONLY offer in or out-of-warranty device replacement ONLY.

Sorry.

iPads are difficult to repair, in a timely manner,and can result in more damages caused during repairs.

Much of what it is inside of iPads is HEAVILY glued up/sealed up components that can be difficult to remove without doing damage to the exterior, aluminium back case and/or damaging many other small, finicky parts inside of the iPad, in the process.

Also, iPad repair may take much longer than most common Apple product customers/users are willing to wait.

Would you;d be willing to wait 7 days or more, without your device, waiting for it to be repaired?

Most Apple product users, today, do not really have this kind of patience to wait that long for their iPad to be repaired, if they truly need the device back ASAP.

Unlike an iPhone, which can be more quickly repaired for simple things like a battery or screen, iPads are a much more complicated device to be able to be repaired quickly.

AND, in the end, the actual repair maybe close to the same costs, OR more, than a full device replacement.

Nov 17, 2021 8:57 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for your detailed response.

To Apple as a company it makes perfect sense for the customer to use the product and once it fails to throw it out and buy a new one.

Contrary to a apple customer it would not make sense and at the end of the day it's the customer who pay for those products and apple should look to address those issues more holistically, that in case the product fails early in its life cycle to ensure the product can repaired at reasonably lower costs to the cusomers.

Nov 17, 2021 10:06 PM in response to sandesh289

I understand, but this is the way it is and how Apple deals with all iPad repairs, and in many cases, complex, iPhone repairs.

Apple is interested in speedy customer service.

Replacement devices are quick to implement.

Repair is not, and it will take time and maybe cost the same as a replacement device.

Sorry, but there is nothing else that can be done for you.

repair of iPad Air 4 - 2020 model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.