Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with Dolby Atmos with some movies

I have a apple tv 4k, netflix and various apple movies are working fine with ATMOS, but some movies still play in 5.1, I rented Mad Max, which had the Dolby Atmos sign on it, but its not working. Any reason i could be having this issue? My receiver is a Marantz sr7011 and im outputting Atmos audio 5.1.4 and Video it into an HD Epson 980w projector

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 4:59 AM

Marantz av7706 here connected directly to an Apple TV 4K. Ready Player One, and a bunch of other movies all play Atmos audio just fine through the Apple TV app. Netflix, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime apps all play Atmos audio just fine.

But, I have several purchased movies in my library that will only play in 5.1 audio, with the receiver clearly showing multichannel in. These movies are Top Gun, Gravity and The Martian. All three movies show Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos in my library but during playback it’s just 5.1 audio. Oh, and to add insult to injury, Ready Player One is in my iTunes library and it plays with Atmos just fine!

Why does the Apple TV Library play Atmos correctly for some movie, but not others? This is especially concerning when the movie shows it has Atmos, other movies work fine with Atmos, and everything else works fine with Atmos.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2021 4:59 AM in response to JoshuaGrayMusic

Marantz av7706 here connected directly to an Apple TV 4K. Ready Player One, and a bunch of other movies all play Atmos audio just fine through the Apple TV app. Netflix, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime apps all play Atmos audio just fine.

But, I have several purchased movies in my library that will only play in 5.1 audio, with the receiver clearly showing multichannel in. These movies are Top Gun, Gravity and The Martian. All three movies show Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos in my library but during playback it’s just 5.1 audio. Oh, and to add insult to injury, Ready Player One is in my iTunes library and it plays with Atmos just fine!

Why does the Apple TV Library play Atmos correctly for some movie, but not others? This is especially concerning when the movie shows it has Atmos, other movies work fine with Atmos, and everything else works fine with Atmos.

Issue with Dolby Atmos with some movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.