Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone share tips on how to speed up the export process in Final Cut Pro X?

I'm looking for ways to speed up the export process in Final Cut Pro X. I've heard that one can bake clips to speed things up, but have been unable to find discussions or instructions on how to bake a clip.

The library, project and files are stored on my Samsung T7, which is extremely fast. Will FCPX export more quickly if I move the project and files to my desktop?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 10:00 AM

The idea of baking generally is exporting sections (chapters, B-rolls, etc.) as master files (Command+E).

When all Chapters (for example) are done this way, the final project is to simply drop them into a clean timeline, then you simply add the flourishes such as transitions and background music.

Master files also have a dual benefit in that you can export the final movie, then drop that Master file into compressor for a more streamlined final export.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 10:00 AM in response to Quillnib

The idea of baking generally is exporting sections (chapters, B-rolls, etc.) as master files (Command+E).

When all Chapters (for example) are done this way, the final project is to simply drop them into a clean timeline, then you simply add the flourishes such as transitions and background music.

Master files also have a dual benefit in that you can export the final movie, then drop that Master file into compressor for a more streamlined final export.

Nov 17, 2021 9:50 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom for getting back to me. The footage was shot with a Hero 8 GoPro (since jettisoned) at 4K in the flat lighting setting. My project is set to export at 1080 P. I had to do a lot of perspective corrections, colour grading and noise reduction to make it look acceptable.

I heard through the grapevine that one had to use a technique called baking in stages to render/export projects like this efficiently, but I haven't been able to find any information on how to do this. Hopefully, I can do it retroactively. But, I'm guessing it is something you do prior to importing into your project.

Nov 17, 2021 9:59 AM in response to Quillnib

I've not heard the term baking used in years. I usually means the equivalent of rendering the project. You don't do this before you import.

One problem is you're downresing when you export. That's a lot of computation. If you put your content in a 1080 project and rendered it, I'm sure the export would be much quicker. Of course the rendering will take some time.

Can anyone share tips on how to speed up the export process in Final Cut Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.