Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable update from 10.14.6 mojave to 10.15 catalina

I have tried multiple methods on the internet to update my MacBook air 2017 from 10.14.6 to 10.15 but all failed. I got 20GB of free storage.

1, Using links like https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?l=en-us&mt=12 to the app store and download 10.15.7 directly using the installer, with no issue on the connection it always shows "update failed due to connection lost" in the middle of the downloading, and need to start to download the entire update all over again, tried like five-times always show the same thing.

2, Tried to download the combo update from https://support.apple.com/downloads/macOS%252010.15 apple support, I get to download the entire update this way but when I tried to install it always show " version 10.15. is required for installing" and failed to install, but I searched all over can't find 10.15. or 10.15.0 anywhere.

is there any other way to update to Catalina or if I did anything wrong please let me know.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 1:11 PM

Hello, dylan778.

Re: 1 - The link you have is the correct one for the full Catalina installer. I suggest that if you are using a wi-fi connection then you should attempt the download again after connecting the Mac to your router with an ethernet cable directly.

Also, make sure you are only using Safari for the download. Other browsers will probably fail.

Try the download again with ethernet cable and Safari. If you already have a previously downloaded installer in your Applications folder, please drag that to the trash, empty the trash and restart your Mac before attempting a fresh download.

Re: 2 - The update download that you linked there is NOT what can be used to upgrade from your current macOS. It's a standalone update for a Catalina 10.15 installation that one can use if the software update mechanism on the Mac doesn't work for some reason. It's unusual to have to go there.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 1:11 PM in response to dylan778

Hello, dylan778.

Re: 1 - The link you have is the correct one for the full Catalina installer. I suggest that if you are using a wi-fi connection then you should attempt the download again after connecting the Mac to your router with an ethernet cable directly.

Also, make sure you are only using Safari for the download. Other browsers will probably fail.

Try the download again with ethernet cable and Safari. If you already have a previously downloaded installer in your Applications folder, please drag that to the trash, empty the trash and restart your Mac before attempting a fresh download.

Re: 2 - The update download that you linked there is NOT what can be used to upgrade from your current macOS. It's a standalone update for a Catalina 10.15 installation that one can use if the software update mechanism on the Mac doesn't work for some reason. It's unusual to have to go there.

Nov 17, 2021 8:01 PM in response to dylan778

At this point, since you have no ethernet dongle for the computer and you have no access to another Mac that can download the installer for you, I'd say your best option will be to pay a visit to your friendly neighborhood Apple Store folks and see if they won't provide you a copy of the installer on a USB stick that you bring along. I've always found the people there more than willing to assist.

You can start the support process here: Genius Bar Reservations and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 17, 2021 7:42 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

There's no way to plug in internet cable to mac air. And using safari won't help, "The network connection was lost, an error occurred while installing the selected updates." popped up again during downloads, and need to start all over, couldn't this thing just pause if the internet is unstable and resume? I never made it to halfway of downloading

Nov 18, 2021 2:30 AM in response to dylan778

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses and an incomplete or corrupted Installer.

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

And as mentioned 20 GB Empty Space on the drive is not going to work. The Full Installer size is roughly 10 GB and it requires space to download , Expand and then install.

Empty Space afterwards - it is suggested to keep at least 15% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to download, expand and install.

Unable update from 10.14.6 mojave to 10.15 catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.