You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom ringtone for contact not working

Have iphone xr and upgraded to IOS 15.1. I think that was about the time, custom ringtone and text tone assigned to my spouse no longer worked, so started missing calls and sms messages.

Ringtone and Text tones have been in place since iphone 4s days and have never had problems.

Clicking on the ringtone / text tone plays the right sounds.

Have checked DND. Have checked volume is up.

Have checked phone is not on mute. Have turned iphone off / on.

Have searched google for answers and tried but no good.

Have notice a few users complaining about similar issue with IOS 15.1 being the cause but no solution.

Ideas ???

Thanks

iPhone XR

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 11:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 8:24 PM

Hi there

Thanks for coming back to me.

Had also deleted each custom ringtone one-by-one. Reloaded to itunes and sync to iphone. Custom not working.

Well, I spent some extended time yesterday 19/11/2021 with Apple Support senior advisor. Prior to be passed to him, I was advised that this was a known issue in ios 15.1 (??)

Confirmed if same custom tone was used as default ringtone or text tone, it worked as expected.

If custom tone was attached to a contact, then neither worked.

Purchased ringtone from itunes - attached to contact. Did not work for custom.

Re-checked focus settings.

Haptics and sound - turned volume slider to max right setting.

Checked mute/unmute button set correctly.

Cleaned speakers on iphone again

Went to accessibility and checked audio/visual settings.

re-check volume set maximum on left side iphone.

So after all this, it still did not work for custom ringtone attached to contact. Arranged appointment with Genius bar.

Story does have a happy ending. Texted my spouse on lack of progress. Response with custom ringtone....RANG. Sent another sms to call me. Phone rang with custom tone !!! Then had my son sms and call me. His custom ringtone and text toneworked as expected.

Somewhere during the investigation / analysis, the custom ringtone problem resolved itself. Just don't know what we did. Glad it works !.....Cancelled Genius bar and will monitor to see if problem remains fixed.......

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 19, 2021 8:24 PM in response to KMB_12

Hi there

Thanks for coming back to me.

Had also deleted each custom ringtone one-by-one. Reloaded to itunes and sync to iphone. Custom not working.

Well, I spent some extended time yesterday 19/11/2021 with Apple Support senior advisor. Prior to be passed to him, I was advised that this was a known issue in ios 15.1 (??)

Confirmed if same custom tone was used as default ringtone or text tone, it worked as expected.

If custom tone was attached to a contact, then neither worked.

Purchased ringtone from itunes - attached to contact. Did not work for custom.

Re-checked focus settings.

Haptics and sound - turned volume slider to max right setting.

Checked mute/unmute button set correctly.

Cleaned speakers on iphone again

Went to accessibility and checked audio/visual settings.

re-check volume set maximum on left side iphone.

So after all this, it still did not work for custom ringtone attached to contact. Arranged appointment with Genius bar.

Story does have a happy ending. Texted my spouse on lack of progress. Response with custom ringtone....RANG. Sent another sms to call me. Phone rang with custom tone !!! Then had my son sms and call me. His custom ringtone and text toneworked as expected.

Somewhere during the investigation / analysis, the custom ringtone problem resolved itself. Just don't know what we did. Glad it works !.....Cancelled Genius bar and will monitor to see if problem remains fixed.......

Nov 18, 2021 6:46 PM in response to China888

Hi China888,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand a custom ringtone is not working, and we'd like to assist. It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting so far. Are you not hearing any sound at all? Are other custom ringtones working? Have you changed the one for your spouse and then changed it back again? We recommend updating to iOS 15.1.1 if you haven't done so yet. Also, have you checked your Focus settings?

Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We look forward to learning more about your issue.

Take care.

Custom ringtone for contact not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.