Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Boot Help

Long story short, one of my students 'broke' one of our macbooks. When trying to boot up, I get the apple logo with the progress bar and it seems to load all the way, but never passes this screen.

Tried just about all of the key combos to reset NVRAM, SMC, etc.

Booted into recovery mode and Disk Utility can't find and errors, thus not able to repair anything. I've tried to create a bootable USB with Sierra with no dice either. Important note, and I believe this is my main issue, is that somehow none of the drives are bootable. While in Disk Utility when I view the info about each drive listed(Internal, External, Base image) the bootable value for each is 'No'. Is there any way to change that value given my circumstances?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 2:57 PM

Start up from macOS Recovery: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R. 

If asked, select a user you know the password for, then enter their administrator password. 

From the utilities window, select Disk Utility and click Continue

Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility. Don't see Macintosh HD?

Click the Erase button in the toolbar, then enter the requested details:

• Name: Macintosh HD
    • Format: APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), as recommended by Disk Utility

Click Erase. However, if you see an Erase Volume Group button, click that button instead. After the erase is done, select any other internal volumes in the sidebar, then click the delete volume (–) button in the toolbar to delete that volume.

During this step, disregard any internal volume named Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, as well as any volumes in the External and Disk Images sections of the sidebar

Quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window.

1. If you want to start up again from the disk you erased, select Reinstall macOS in the utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall macOS.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 2:57 PM in response to Ebomb30

Start up from macOS Recovery: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R. 

If asked, select a user you know the password for, then enter their administrator password. 

From the utilities window, select Disk Utility and click Continue

Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility. Don't see Macintosh HD?

Click the Erase button in the toolbar, then enter the requested details:

• Name: Macintosh HD
    • Format: APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), as recommended by Disk Utility

Click Erase. However, if you see an Erase Volume Group button, click that button instead. After the erase is done, select any other internal volumes in the sidebar, then click the delete volume (–) button in the toolbar to delete that volume.

During this step, disregard any internal volume named Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, as well as any volumes in the External and Disk Images sections of the sidebar

Quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window.

1. If you want to start up again from the disk you erased, select Reinstall macOS in the utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall macOS.

MBP Boot Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.