Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet recovery

i recently bought a used macbook (2016 model) I was trying to reset the mac and i erased the harddrive and now it cant boot. I have been trying the internet recovery option and I have tried up to 4 different internet connections and it always fails and comes back with an exclamation mark and -1 003F/-1 005F. I have run out of options. I dont have another mac to download a new OS, i dont have a compatible USB stick to create a bootable disk. Why wont the internet recovery work? and what are the solutions? i am also getting a windows kind of error

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 2:54 AM

If your Mac isn't connected to a storage drive with MacBook installed, or your boot drive is corrupted, the computer will flash a question mark folder icon on startup, and then shut down.

Follow this guide to boot your Mac to Internet Recovery mode and access recovery tools like Disk Utility, Time Machine, and the MacBook installer.

Internet Recovery is only available on Apple computers manufactured after 2009. If your computer was released in 2010 or 2011, you may need to update to the latest version of MacBook and / or perform an EFI and SMC firmware update to enable Internet Recovery.

Step 1 How to Start Up a Mac in Internet Recovery Mode

Turn off the computer.

If you are installing MacBook on a new drive with Internet Recovery, you can skip this step.

Step 2

Once the computer is completely off, press the power button, then immediately press and hold the cud + option + R key combination.

Step 3

When the spinning globe animation appears, you can release the keys.

The globe will rotate as Internet Recovery starts. If you are not using a wired Internet connection, a network selection message will appear. Use this menu to connect the computer to a WIFI network.

Step 4

Once a network connection has been established, a progress bar will appear below the spinning globe.

Step 5

When Internet Recovery has loaded, you will see the MacBook recovery screen.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 2:54 AM in response to chimwemwe272

If your Mac isn't connected to a storage drive with MacBook installed, or your boot drive is corrupted, the computer will flash a question mark folder icon on startup, and then shut down.

Follow this guide to boot your Mac to Internet Recovery mode and access recovery tools like Disk Utility, Time Machine, and the MacBook installer.

Internet Recovery is only available on Apple computers manufactured after 2009. If your computer was released in 2010 or 2011, you may need to update to the latest version of MacBook and / or perform an EFI and SMC firmware update to enable Internet Recovery.

Step 1 How to Start Up a Mac in Internet Recovery Mode

Turn off the computer.

If you are installing MacBook on a new drive with Internet Recovery, you can skip this step.

Step 2

Once the computer is completely off, press the power button, then immediately press and hold the cud + option + R key combination.

Step 3

When the spinning globe animation appears, you can release the keys.

The globe will rotate as Internet Recovery starts. If you are not using a wired Internet connection, a network selection message will appear. Use this menu to connect the computer to a WIFI network.

Step 4

Once a network connection has been established, a progress bar will appear below the spinning globe.

Step 5

When Internet Recovery has loaded, you will see the MacBook recovery screen.

internet recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.