Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What DVD CD exterior drive writer is compatible with MAC OS Catalina Vers. 10.15.7????

What DVD CD exterior writer is compatible with my Mac OS Catalina Vers. 10.15.7

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 9:02 AM

Because the Apple USB SuperDrive has not been updated since June 2012, I prefer a newer and faster third-party option and, in fact, am about to order one:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/

There are a number of data points that drove my choice:

• The OWC drive is USB-3, so is potentially up to 10X faster than the 2012-vintage Apple product which is only USB-2.
  • The OWC drive is self-powered (has a independent power source) and that increases relibility. Other models including Apple's are "bus-powered," meaning they must sap all their power needs from the computers' USB port. Lack of enough USB power is a major source of problems in all external bus-powered drives regardless of class or brand.
  • Tray-load drives are historically more reliable that slot-load drives.
  • The OWC drive costs US$5 less and comes with cabling and a power supply.

The is one downside t the OWC option. This is pasted from their web page for their drive:

Please note: Apple's DVD Player application only works with an internal optical drive or the Apple's external SuperDrive. To play DVDs with this drive, we recommend the free VLC Player.....

I consider this a moot point because our Macs are too new to have Apple's abandoned DVD Player software. So is Catalina.

Anyway, one man's opinion.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 9:02 AM in response to Phoebe McMillan

Because the Apple USB SuperDrive has not been updated since June 2012, I prefer a newer and faster third-party option and, in fact, am about to order one:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/

There are a number of data points that drove my choice:

• The OWC drive is USB-3, so is potentially up to 10X faster than the 2012-vintage Apple product which is only USB-2.
  • The OWC drive is self-powered (has a independent power source) and that increases relibility. Other models including Apple's are "bus-powered," meaning they must sap all their power needs from the computers' USB port. Lack of enough USB power is a major source of problems in all external bus-powered drives regardless of class or brand.
  • Tray-load drives are historically more reliable that slot-load drives.
  • The OWC drive costs US$5 less and comes with cabling and a power supply.

The is one downside t the OWC option. This is pasted from their web page for their drive:

Please note: Apple's DVD Player application only works with an internal optical drive or the Apple's external SuperDrive. To play DVDs with this drive, we recommend the free VLC Player.....

I consider this a moot point because our Macs are too new to have Apple's abandoned DVD Player software. So is Catalina.

Anyway, one man's opinion.

Nov 20, 2021 1:36 PM in response to Phoebe McMillan

I tend to try and use Apple accessories unless there is a very good reason not too. We've had great service out of our two Superdrives since we bought them in 2015.

We owned several newer, faster, cheaper more versatile eternal optical drives, I'd guess a half dozen over the last 10 years, I have a single one now and it requires two USB ports. Not exactly a good situation since Apple has made the outstandingly popular decision to be stingy with such super high tech ports as USB-A.

What DVD CD exterior drive writer is compatible with MAC OS Catalina Vers. 10.15.7????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.