Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes and Documents in iCloud

I use iCloud to store my notes and documents to use in 2 Macs, iPhone and iPad . I worry that I may erase a note or documents in one of my devises and it would erase it in all the other devises. Is there a way to keep this from happening?

I know I could backup the documents on an external drive, but what about the notes? How would you back up notes on an external drive?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 8:03 AM

In Mac notes preferences you can keep notes at " on my Mac section " Change preferences in Notes on Mac - Apple Support

notes stored on your Mac

You can store notes on your Mac instead of in an online account (such as your iCloud account). If you store notes on your Mac, they aren’t available on any of your other devices.

Notes stored on your Mac appear below On My Mac in the sidebar. If you don’t see On My Mac in the sidebar, you can enable it.

Choose Notes > Preferences, then select the “Enable the On My Mac account” tick box.

Note: If you later disable the On My Mac account, notes in your other accounts (such as iCloud) are not affected.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 8:03 AM in response to jtrippy

In Mac notes preferences you can keep notes at " on my Mac section " Change preferences in Notes on Mac - Apple Support

notes stored on your Mac

You can store notes on your Mac instead of in an online account (such as your iCloud account). If you store notes on your Mac, they aren’t available on any of your other devices.

Notes stored on your Mac appear below On My Mac in the sidebar. If you don’t see On My Mac in the sidebar, you can enable it.

Choose Notes > Preferences, then select the “Enable the On My Mac account” tick box.

Note: If you later disable the On My Mac account, notes in your other accounts (such as iCloud) are not affected.

Notes and Documents in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.