Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey not showing my external Samsung T5 drives

Has Apple done anything to fix this issue? The day I installed Monterey is the day my iMac stopped showing Samsung T5 SSD drives in the finder. The issue is that I cannot access the data on them. I can run first aid in Utilities on them. I tried them on a PC and no issues, they work fine. I am using the cables that came with the Samsungs as Samsung recommends. I had no previous issues until I installed the new OS. Sure seems Apple needs to get on this one as there are many more with similar issues. Anyone know of a resolution even temporary? Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 11:17 AM

Hello, sgvogel.

Sorry that you're having this trouble.

Since the upgrade have you confirmed that the external drives are enabled to show on the desktop and in the Finder sidebar?

Navigate to Finder > Preferences > General tab and Sidebar tab.

Are the drives connected directly to the Mac rather than to a hub or dock?

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 11:17 AM in response to sgvogel

Hello, sgvogel.

Sorry that you're having this trouble.

Since the upgrade have you confirmed that the external drives are enabled to show on the desktop and in the Finder sidebar?

Navigate to Finder > Preferences > General tab and Sidebar tab.

Are the drives connected directly to the Mac rather than to a hub or dock?

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Nov 20, 2021 11:18 AM in response to sgvogel

It is not up to Apple to ensure third party peripherals work, it is us to the developers of the peripheral manufacturers, that is why Apple and all manufacturers offer beta programs. To test and de-bug.

I would say restart in Safe Mode ( Use Safe Mode to isolate issues with your Mac ) with the Samsungs and any other external peripherals disconnected from the Mac (unplug all cables and power down the peripherals) then after you have restarted normally beginning introducing each external peripheral, test then add the next and rinse and repeat until done. If the problem continues, you need contact Samsung for support to see if they are already aware of the problem.

Nov 23, 2021 11:59 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Well I want to report back that the two Samsung T5 drives now show up on my Desktop. I cannot see them in the Finder, however. I am able to use the drives so the crisis is over but I have no idea what I did to make them appear on the desktop. Under Finder preferences External disks are checked to show on Desktop and always have been. They do not appear in the Finder window for Desktop. Anyway thank you for your support rkaufmann87 and D.I.Johnson.

Nov 23, 2021 12:36 PM in response to sgvogel

You're welcome.

Thank you for the update. I agree with @rkaufmann87 that it's odd they show up on the dtop but not in Finder.

To add, for clarity, one would't expect these external drives to appear among the listed files and folders within the Finder window for the Desktop folder. Of course, they may be visible in the sidebar of any Finder window.

You have enabled "External drives" to be visible via Finder's Sidebar Preferences, yes?

Well, regardless, it's good that access has been restored.

Take care, friend.

Monterey not showing my external Samsung T5 drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.