Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder: My finder folders in Tabs

My Finder folders do not open in new Tabs even though I have all the check boxes (system prefs & finder prefs) checked and set for "always".

I'm using Monterey on an M1 Mac Mini.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix this? I want all folders to open in new Tabs.

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 2:18 PM

8 replies

Nov 21, 2021 11:47 AM in response to TrixieG123

Hey TrixieG123,

If we understand correctly, the folders you open are not opening in a new tab even though you set the setting correctly. Try starting the Mac in safe mode and see if the issue persists.

Is it happening to all folders or only certain folders?

"On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click General .

Click the “Prefer tabs when opening documents” pop-up menu, then choose an option:

• never: Open folders in a new window, not a tab.
  • in full screen: Open folders in a tab only when you’re working in full screen.
  • always: Open folders in a new tab."

Change how folders open in the Finder on Mac

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Nov 21, 2021 1:42 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

"The option to 'open in new tab' is an alternative to 'open in new window'. When you double click to open a folder in the same window, you are doing neither of the above."

Very interesting to know. Thanks! To be specific, the tick box in Finder preferences has no bearing on double-click behavior. It instead changes which default appears, on the menu, when you right-click (control-click). And, regardless of the default setting, pressing the Option key toggles between New Tab and New Window.

Nov 21, 2021 12:21 PM in response to TrixieG123

What do you see instead? Are the folders opening in a new window, or in the SAME window?

Please explain exactly how you are opening the folders, including what view you are using - icon, list, column?

If you double click on a folder it will usually open in the same window or tab. If you want to create a NEW tab, then control-click and choose Open in New Tab.

Nov 21, 2021 1:05 PM in response to TrixieG123

TrixieG123 wrote:

Hi, Luis. The folders are opening in the same window. I use list view.

I know how to get a new tab manually, but it should work automatically, or why have the settings?

Patricia

That is how it's supposed to work.

The option to "open in new tab" is an alternative to "open in new window".

When you double click to open a folder in the same window, you are doing neither of the above.

Finder: My finder folders in Tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.