Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Static / Hissing noise (AirPods 3)

When I first received my AirPods 3rd Gen, there was a static / hissing noise out of the box. It only occurred when nothing is playing. Updated to the latest software but the problem still persisted.

Went to the apple store to get them replaced but the replacement unit had the same problem but worsened. Having an appointment at Genius Bar again today to get them replaced once again. If the problem still persist, might have to get a refund. Probably a problem with the batch of AirPods 3rd Generation produced.

1st Pair: Noise only occurs when nothing is played

2nd Pair (Replaced): Noise occurs continuously, even when not connected to any devices via Bluetooth, louder than previous pair

--> Was also unable to update the replacement unit to the latest firmware despite following instructions given by Apple Support Advisors and also YouTube tutorials.

Non of the problems were fixed after multiple resets of the AirPods.

I think it might be a hardware or software problem for different pairs.

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 8:03 PM

I experienced the same issue straight out of the box. Clear buzzing in the right ear. I agree that it seemed to only be heard by a subset of folks who tried it and only in quiet environments. My wife thought I was half-crazy and for a while I kinda thought I was too. But it was 100% noticeable to me and I couldn't imagine trying to just use the product with that buzz in my head.

I ended up sending mine in for repairs on 11/15 and received a replacement set (new serial number) in an already opened retail box from the service dept on 12/10. I only had to make 3 calls to check on the repair - now that's service!

Glad that the replacement set seems to be missing the buzz - kinda wish I had just gotten the older Pro model at the start.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 8:03 PM in response to keokko

I experienced the same issue straight out of the box. Clear buzzing in the right ear. I agree that it seemed to only be heard by a subset of folks who tried it and only in quiet environments. My wife thought I was half-crazy and for a while I kinda thought I was too. But it was 100% noticeable to me and I couldn't imagine trying to just use the product with that buzz in my head.

I ended up sending mine in for repairs on 11/15 and received a replacement set (new serial number) in an already opened retail box from the service dept on 12/10. I only had to make 3 calls to check on the repair - now that's service!

Glad that the replacement set seems to be missing the buzz - kinda wish I had just gotten the older Pro model at the start.

Nov 24, 2021 10:40 PM in response to keokko

Update:

Went to the apple store today to get my AirPods replaced for the 2nd time. This is my 3rd pair. Was able to test it at the store before bring it back. Thankfully, the issue was finally solved and I was able to use my AirPods 3 carefree. I recommend that you bring in your AirPods to the Genius Bar at the Apple store to get this issue resolved.

Even though I had it fixed, i'm sure there are still many AirPods 3 out there with the same issue. I hope Apple notices this manufacturing issue and proposes a recall or servicing for these AirPods.

Nov 22, 2021 2:56 AM in response to keokko

Hey, I had the exact same issue with my Airpods 3, the hissing noise was very noticeable when nothing was playing. I usually wear them most of the day and the noise was pretty uncomfortable, not acceptable for a product in that price range.

Returned the next day after seeing online I wasn’t the only one with the issue. Gonna stick with AirPods 2 for now

Nov 23, 2021 1:44 AM in response to keokko

Was granted a last and final AirPod replacement. Hope the issue gets resolved this time. Will update here again after testing the replacement unit.

While at the apple store to ask for a 2nd replacement, the apple staff claim to not be able to hear the static / hissing noise despite having other staff test it as well. I think the noise can only be heard by certain people with specific ranges of hearing. Do keep that in mind when at the apple store to replace your AirPods 3.

Static / Hissing noise (AirPods 3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.