Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost password *and* recovery key

My mum has lost her Apple password and her recovery key. We can’t change her password without the key and we can’t change the key without the password. We’re stuck. Any help appreciated. I did ask the boffins on the messenger chat but they just gave me the stages that I’ve already been through.

To break it down:

No password

No 28 digit recovery key

can’t change Password without key

can’t change key without password

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 3:29 AM

The answer depends on whether you are using the current two-factor authentication, or the older two-step verification.

If you are using two-factor authentication you need to plough through the processes described in these pages:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

There is a contact link for Support at the bottom of the second page linked to.

If you are using two-step verification (which would have been set up several years ago) you need two out of three things to get into your account: your password, your trusted device to receive a code, or your recovery key. If you have lost two out of these three things I'm afraid you are permanently locked out. (You should still contact Support in case anything has changed about this since the original information, but don't get your hopes up).

Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 3:29 AM in response to PhantomLagger

The answer depends on whether you are using the current two-factor authentication, or the older two-step verification.

If you are using two-factor authentication you need to plough through the processes described in these pages:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

There is a contact link for Support at the bottom of the second page linked to.

If you are using two-step verification (which would have been set up several years ago) you need two out of three things to get into your account: your password, your trusted device to receive a code, or your recovery key. If you have lost two out of these three things I'm afraid you are permanently locked out. (You should still contact Support in case anything has changed about this since the original information, but don't get your hopes up).

Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

Nov 21, 2021 4:28 AM in response to PhantomLagger

How to generate a recovery key --> https://support.apple.com/HT208072

With two-factor authentication and an Apple device, you have the option to generate a recovery key to help improve account security.

- "Creating a recovery key turns off account recovery. Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently."

If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - https://support.apple.com/HT202649 > If you lost your Recovery Key

Nov 21, 2021 4:38 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:
If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - https://support.apple.com/HT202649 > If you lost your Recovery Key

This requires the password which the OP doesn't have. It was always the case with 2SV that if you lost two out of the three things your account would be unrecoverable and I'm assuming nothing has changed. (I suspect this is why 2FA was introduced since there is a recovery process - which apparently not available if you've chosen to create a recovery key.)

I'm slightly puzzled by the OP's comment that 'She’s locked herself out of her two iPads but her iPhone had no lock on it so that’s fine it’s just the password for her Apple ID that’s the problem' which does suggest that the iPads have a passcode on them which of course is nothng to do with authentication.

Nov 21, 2021 7:33 AM in response to PhantomLagger

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> https://support.apple.com/HT202711

Nov 21, 2021 4:09 AM in response to PhantomLagger

Thanks you so much for all of that. It does look like she might be locked out for good but I started a chat with Apple last night so perhaps I can try them again. She’s locked herself out of her two iPads but her iPhone had no lock on it so that’s fine it’s just the password for her Apple ID that’s the problem there (which need the key number).

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2021 7:21 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger,

Sorry, that was a bit confusing (and possibly unnecessary to the post) . My mum had two problems, the first one being she managed to lock herself out of both her tablet (no idea how) so I reset those back to the factory settings. It was then we found she’d forgotten her ID password

so, now her main problem is No password for her Apple ID and no recovery number. The people on Apple support chat have been very helpful and have just finished saying that we can fix it but we need proof of purchase, hopefully we can find that.

Lost password *and* recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.