Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime for screen recordings.

I want to use Quicktime to start a screen recording. But when I open Quicktime it gives me a finder, like it wants me to choose a file or an application. I don't know what to do with that. I just want to open the program and start a new screen recording.

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 1:17 PM

the easiest way to launch a screen recording is with the "command+shift+5" keyboard shortcut. then the recording controls will show up.

you can then choose if you want to record or capture the entire screen or a selected portion of the screen. you can also click on "options" in those controls and choose a "save to" location as well as which sound input (microphone) you want to use, and/or set a timer.

and if you want to record the sound from a video you are screen recording, there is a couple more steps. if that is what you want to accomplish, come back here and let me know and i'll give you the directions.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 1:17 PM in response to lanebarden

the easiest way to launch a screen recording is with the "command+shift+5" keyboard shortcut. then the recording controls will show up.

you can then choose if you want to record or capture the entire screen or a selected portion of the screen. you can also click on "options" in those controls and choose a "save to" location as well as which sound input (microphone) you want to use, and/or set a timer.

and if you want to record the sound from a video you are screen recording, there is a couple more steps. if that is what you want to accomplish, come back here and let me know and i'll give you the directions.

Nov 22, 2021 4:05 PM in response to lanebarden

lanebarden wrote:
I guess it's still recording but I'm not sure about that either.

sorry, i missed that part of your question. there's an orange indicator when any type of recording is in process.

depending on if you are in full screen or if the menubar is hidden, it can appear to the left of the clock or in the upper right of your screen.

Nov 22, 2021 3:53 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

I started the screen recording well enough but I don't see anyway to stop it. I can see the screen portion I selected to record, but the control panel disappeared. I guess it's still recording but I'm not sure about that either. There's no red light showing that a recording is underway. How do I stop the recording without a control panel?

Quicktime for screen recordings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.