You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with magic keyboard after upgrading to Monterey

So, I upgraded my iMac from BigSur to Monterey and then my keyboard configuration is suddenly super messed up I have two buttons/keys that don't work at all (down arrow is one of them), and then even if I try I can't change the keyboard configuration. I can't control high and low volume with the keys neither can't control de bright with F1 and F2 buttons because they don't even show as an option there. It says it was "restored" and the key configuration shows F15 and F14 as key options but I don't even have those on my keyboard (is an original one, btw). So, what can I do? I am thinking maybe downgrading but I am afraid it can mess up more things that fix it.

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 3:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 4:03 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 21, 2021 4:03 PM in response to PM264

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Problems with magic keyboard after upgrading to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.