Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is HDMI port on Apple TV 4K used for?

Basic question I don't find on Apple website. It the HDMI port on the ATV 4K for:

1. Output video / audio signal to HDTV

or

2. Input video / audio signal from another source like DVD player and output signal gets to HDTV using AirPlay2 over WiFi?

I'm guessing it's #1, which means ATV 4K doesn't have ability to pass along DVD output.

Next question.

If #1, do I need an AirPlay2 compatible AV Receiver to accomplish sending DVD output video to TV and sound to HomePods?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 11:29 PM

1. The HDMI port is for output to a TV (or AV receiver).

The latest model Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) [A2169] has a special feature to also use the HDMI connection for ARC/eARC, i.e. audio from TV or other TV connected devices may be send ‘back’ to the Apple TV box for output to HomePods. You do not need an AirPlay 2-enabled AV Receiver for use with HomePods. Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) - Apple Support

DVD Player → TV ⇄ Apple TV 4K 2nd → HomePods

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 11:29 PM in response to ehsup

1. The HDMI port is for output to a TV (or AV receiver).

The latest model Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) [A2169] has a special feature to also use the HDMI connection for ARC/eARC, i.e. audio from TV or other TV connected devices may be send ‘back’ to the Apple TV box for output to HomePods. You do not need an AirPlay 2-enabled AV Receiver for use with HomePods. Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) - Apple Support

DVD Player → TV ⇄ Apple TV 4K 2nd → HomePods

What is HDMI port on Apple TV 4K used for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.