Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

on the latest upgrade, Monterey System Passwords

My password works to open the system from the start screen but it does not work in system preferences. How do I resolves this?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 12:44 PM

ok it is about to get weird.

I am the only registered user on the computer. I shut it down and opened it back up in safe mode. My two external monitors were not working. so I shut it down and again and restarted it. once I did that I was able to use my password to make changes in the system preferences section. THis is odd since I did shut down and restart it several times prior. Just never in safe mode.

So basically this fixed the problem.

Thank you!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2021 12:44 PM in response to lllaass

ok it is about to get weird.

I am the only registered user on the computer. I shut it down and opened it back up in safe mode. My two external monitors were not working. so I shut it down and again and restarted it. once I did that I was able to use my password to make changes in the system preferences section. THis is odd since I did shut down and restart it several times prior. Just never in safe mode.

So basically this fixed the problem.

Thank you!

Nov 22, 2021 11:56 AM in response to PRP_53

That is correct.

When I start my computer I am asked for a password. My password works at this point. When I open the system preferences and select an item that I wish to change and I click on the locked padlock and I put in my password the box just shakes and I am told my password is wrong. I did not have this problem prior to upgrading to Monterey. I can't make any changes because of this. I even tried to change my password. It accepted this same password as my old password and let me change it. When I try to use this new or old password the box just shakes and nothing happens.

Nov 22, 2021 1:32 PM in response to studiolionmg

Understand what Safe Boot behind the scenes may put some perspective as to why it solved your issue.

Safe Boot will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. In so doing, it sort of puts aspects of the OS back right. This mode is also often used to determine if there is a System Wide issue or User Account issue plus eliminates Third Party Software from loading too.

Pleased that solved your issue

on the latest upgrade, Monterey System Passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.