Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to back up phone because I cannot press the trust this device button as the screen is broken

How can I backup the phone without fixing the screen? I believe the phone works fine besides the screen as I still get notifications alerts, alarms, and I am able to charge the phone too. It simply unbelievable to me that pressing the trust this device button is the only this that stands in the way of backing up the phone. I have the same Apple ID (on my Mac that I will use for backup), and I have the passcode an all other relevant information. If I bring the phone into an Apple store will they be able to help me?

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:37 AM

You should be prepared for the phone to be completely erased if it is fixed. You'll have to use an older backup. If you've been backing up to iCloud, plug it in and let it backup overnight. If you've only been backing up to a computer, there is likely little that you can do.

5 replies

Nov 22, 2021 12:23 PM in response to kamimamitara

It is also important to realize that Apple’s terms of service do not guarantee that any service will not result in data loss. Apple’s accepts no responsibility for anyone’s data when they service a device.

It is always up to device owners to safe guard their data. So even for repairs where data loss is unlikely given the nature of the repair, if it should occur, Apple is not responsible for safe guarding anyone’s data.

Nov 23, 2021 6:28 AM in response to Michael Black

Yeah, I see and I understand that Apple isn't liable. I just don't know why I have to press trust this device. I have already trusted this device with my mac in the past. I also frequently use airdrop between the two devices. Both devices operate on the same Apple ID. If anything a screen that asks for me to enter the passcode of the iPhone would be much more appropriate than "trust this device" which I have already done.

I am unable to back up phone because I cannot press the trust this device button as the screen is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.