Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV with multiple profiles

I am considering getting the apple tv. I want to know how does the apple tv handle multiple subscriptions and profiles on the apple tv Plus app?

For example, netflix, on the apple plus app under my profile, will my shows from Netflix show up and only mine. Then for my wifes profile only hers will show up? Or based on the account used to log in with on Netflix on the main apple TV box will that be the shows that are shown across multiple platforms?

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:57 AM

The Apple TV box supports multiple Apple IDs for the Music and TV Apps and can be changed whenever you want from the Settings Menu: link-> Set up multiple users on Apple TV - Apple Support

However the individual apps, like Netflix, Hulu, Prime etc... do not in most cases support multiple accounts and will use whichever account is signed in to the App at the time its being used regardless of which Apple ID is active on the Apple TV.

Apps however do support multiple profiles, so if you and your wife have your own profile within each app, you will be able to change to your profile within the App independently of the Apple ID being signed in.

If you each have your own subscription and account with each app and not just a profile within the same account, then you would need to sign the other person out of the app and sign in with your account.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2021 8:57 AM in response to bud71

The Apple TV box supports multiple Apple IDs for the Music and TV Apps and can be changed whenever you want from the Settings Menu: link-> Set up multiple users on Apple TV - Apple Support

However the individual apps, like Netflix, Hulu, Prime etc... do not in most cases support multiple accounts and will use whichever account is signed in to the App at the time its being used regardless of which Apple ID is active on the Apple TV.

Apps however do support multiple profiles, so if you and your wife have your own profile within each app, you will be able to change to your profile within the App independently of the Apple ID being signed in.

If you each have your own subscription and account with each app and not just a profile within the same account, then you would need to sign the other person out of the app and sign in with your account.

Nov 22, 2021 8:55 AM in response to bud71

If you want to run an app on a different profile than what the Apple TV is currently logged into then simply change the profile and all billing and preferences for the different profile will be used. Very very simple to do. For example, my wife and I have different profiles and preferences and we are Netflix customers. We both use the same Apple ID for billing however we like to watch different types of content. When she is logged into her account, she sees her preferences and what she has watched in the past, what she would like to watch etc, when I log in to my account then I see what I want.

Nov 22, 2021 9:09 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks. We have separate profiles now, and I am thinking about getting an Apple TV box to consolidate all the services into you. So to be clear, I sign in on the main box to all the accounts with the billing sign in IE Netflix and Apple TV plus. But then the profile on the apple TV app will ask which profile to use for each service. IE Netflix for wife profile on wifes profile for Apple TV plus? 180 dollars is alot to spend if we cant separate the profiles.

Guess what I am trying to say , on the apple tv app, my profile will house all the profiles from streaming apps like Netflix and Disney plus, but then my wifes profiles will consolidated under her own apple tv app profile.

Nov 22, 2021 9:50 AM in response to bud71

bud71 wrote:

Thanks. We have separate profiles now, and I am thinking about getting an Apple TV box to consolidate all the services into you. So to be clear, I sign in on the main box to all the accounts with the billing sign in IE Netflix and Apple TV plus.

No, the Main sign in is only for the Apple IDs of the users and it only applies to the Apple Apps like TV, Music, Fitness, Arcade, etc...

For the 3rd party apps like Netflix, they will need to be signed in with one account that is paying for them, and is not really tied to the Apple ID logins on the Apple TV box in Settings. Netflix may be using the Apple ID as its account, but it is not tied to the Apple ID that is actually active in Settings.

But then the profile on the apple TV app will ask which profile to use for each service. IE Netflix for wife profile on wifes profile for Apple TV plus? 180 dollars is alot to spend if we cant separate the profiles.

No, The TV App and other Apple apps will use whichever Apple ID is currently active at the time you open the App. It will not ask, you will need to manually change the active Apple ID in Settings if you want to change the user for the Apple apps.

This is, as mentioned, unrelated to the account used for other 3rd party apps like Netflix. For those, if each of you is paying for your own subscription to Netflix, you will need to sign each other out of the App and sign in with your own account.

If you are using the same billing account for Netflix, but have different profiles inside the app, then you can just select the profile within the App you wish to use. But again, this is unrelated to the active Apple ID from the Settings App.

Guess what I am trying to say , on the apple tv app, my profile will house all the profiles from streaming apps like Netflix and Disney plus, but then my wifes profiles will consolidated under her own apple tv app profile.

Again, no. Do not confuse accounts with profiles. Accounts hold profiles. Apple IDs do not have profiles. They are just one account that holds information for one user. The active Apple ID will not define what account is logged in to 3rd party apps like Netflix or Disney+, but may define what subscriptions are active for the channels within the Apple TV App.

3rd party Apps like Netflix use accounts with the billing information, and then hold different profiles for different users within that account so they can separate viewed content and likes and dislikes. These are not tied to the active Apple ID at all.

They are controlled by the app.

If you have Husband Apple ID and Wife Apple ID, but then you have a subscription account to Netflix with 2 profiles under that account for viewing content, these are unrelated to the Apple IDs. Again it may use the Apple ID as its account, but it has no connection to the Apple ID that is active in Settings.

Apple TV with multiple profiles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.