Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Call voicemail issue on iPhone 13

How can I fix the voicemail issue on my iPhone 13? It keeps saying to call voicemail. I have tried the airplane mode and resetting my network . Both failed to fix this issue.

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 11:43 AM

Try restarting your phone→Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn’t fix it you need to contact your carrier; they are the voicemail provider.

One more thing: You must have cellular data connected and a cellular signal to use visual voicemail.

11 replies

Nov 22, 2021 11:50 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have restarted my phone twice now and that hasn’t helped. My provider is StraightTalk and they support visual voicemail per Appletoolbox. I always have had visual voicemail and WiFi at the same time with all of my iPhones. This iPhone 13 won’t do it. There is a new SIM card in it. Could it be possible it needs to be on a 5G setting on the router?

Nov 22, 2021 11:55 AM in response to MookyEbby

Not likely, but it is still almost certainly a configuration problem in the network settings on the network side. And you can have Wi-Fi on, but unless you also have cellular data on visual voicemail can’t work, because your carrier’s voicemail server doesn’t know anything about your Wi-Fi connection. Off topic, but the same is true for MMS messaging; it can only use cellular data.

You need to call ST, and be aware that it can take a day or two to fix it, because ST is an MVNO and they need to send a request to the “real” carrier to fix it.

Nov 26, 2021 6:59 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Well I wouldn’t go that far. I was on the phone with them for four and half hours with setting up my new iPhone 13 before one smart ST employee realized I needed a new SIM card rated for 5G. (This was after I told them repeatedly that the Apple store reused my old SIM from my 6s). Then I spent another 2 hours on the phone with ST after installing the new SIM. One thing I learned is do not wait for them to call you back. Call them back right away and get a human on the line. I got lucky I nailed a smart ST employee that knew what to do when I asked to have my visual voicemail reinstated. I think I was on the phone 40 minutes top. A record I dare say! Also it helps to have two people on the conversation. I was able to decipher what the ST tech was saying 1/2 of the time while y wife got the other 1/2 I missed. 😏

Dec 11, 2021 6:01 PM in response to Rehaan7866

You need to contact your carrier. Voice and data use different “channels”, so it’s possible for one to work and the other not to.

A couple of things to check: Do you know if your phone is set to use Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?

Do you have Wi-Fi calling enabled? If you do try it both with and without that feature turned on.

What is your signal strength? That’s the 4 vertical bars in the status line at the top of the screen.

Jan 3, 2022 1:03 PM in response to MookyEbby

Hi, I am currently having the same issue with my new Iphone 13. I was just on live chat with ST for 2 hours trying to resolve the call voicemail issue. They told me that SIM cards are not transferable but I have used the same SIM card for several years between a Iphone 8 and 11. They then tried to tell me if Visual Voicemail isn't an option in my settings than it is not compatible. Is this true or is it a SIM issue that would be resolved with 5G compatible SIM. Does ST have a SIM card compatible with 5G?

Thank you

Call voicemail issue on iPhone 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.