Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv update- freezing/buffering issues

Since the last update to apple tv (Nov of this year) both of my apple tv boxes (latest gen) now freeze, buffer, and have intermittent black screens (usually momentary, but sometimes for up to 20 sec). ISP, router and settings are unchanged; speedtest.net and fast.com show solid performance above 10mbps at all times. Other devices on the same network are not experiencing any issues or problems, incl two other set top devices (roku). TV settings are also unchanged.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Suggestions?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 2:08 PM

I'm having the exact same issue and it seems to have started with the update to tvOS15. As an example (and its just one example out of many), Netflix app from my Samsung TV natively streams 4K content without any issue. My Apple TV device used to as well. In the past month or so, constant buffering, low quality video, etc. I have 600MB internet service so that isn't the issue. Others on Reddit are reporting the same thing. Anyone aware of Apple working on an update?

No, I don't want to reset my Apple TV (besides others have reported that this didn't help).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 2:08 PM in response to bcs914

I'm having the exact same issue and it seems to have started with the update to tvOS15. As an example (and its just one example out of many), Netflix app from my Samsung TV natively streams 4K content without any issue. My Apple TV device used to as well. In the past month or so, constant buffering, low quality video, etc. I have 600MB internet service so that isn't the issue. Others on Reddit are reporting the same thing. Anyone aware of Apple working on an update?

No, I don't want to reset my Apple TV (besides others have reported that this didn't help).

Nov 23, 2021 3:02 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your comment. Not sure where you got 4k from, since I did not mention it. The apps in use are hulu, sling, pluto, and netflix, which are not all 4k content; the freezing I mention happens independent of the type of content, and the tv's in use are only capable of 4k at 30hz (not uhd or dolby) anyway.

As a side comment, rokus are delivering some 4k content with the same network/isp,etc. without issues- and I am NOT a roku fan in any way. I just expect that the much more expensive appletv devices will work as advertised.

Nov 23, 2021 3:54 PM in response to bcs914

Just some FYI

10 is GOOD considered slow in fact 6-50 is in this range

51-100 is GREAT consider for support for multi-device streaming.

101-250 is FAST support multi device 4k streaming.

Other Things

Apple products are quite chatty....They appear to talk to your network escessively

Even when off they're chatty they never sleep that's why they can update while off/sleep.

Other things to consider would be:

How crowded is your network wifi wise?

Do you have a lot devices connected to your router?

Do you connect your AppleTv via wifi or ethernet cable?

The more connected wired devices will give the device better speed and relieve wifi congestion.

You could try just as a test to connect the Apple Tv only and see what your results are with the buffering/freezing.

I have 4 Apple Tv's plus many other devices...All Apple TV's with the exception of one are wired (ethernet connected)

I have one AppleTv that will freeze/buffer but only on YouTube.

I hope this helps or a least gives you more trouble shooting ideas if you have not done so already.

Nov 24, 2021 4:01 PM in response to mpelant

My misery doesn't exactly love the company, but seeing that others are experiencing similar problems after the os15 upgrade gives me hope that Apple will address the issue soon.

I did try the reset suggestion on one apple tv and it didn't help me either. I should have thought to try the Vizio TV's OS as well, but for some reason I forgot it had one. I did just now and like your Samsung, it plays 4k just fine.

apple tv update- freezing/buffering issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.