Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not making notification sounds when locked

When my phone is locked, I don’t receive any notification sounds from iMessage & any social media apps. I do hear the notification sound when the phone is unlocked however.

I have an iPhone 11 with the latest software updates. Silent mode is off and the volume in the control centre is fairly high. Focus mode (and DnD) is off but I’m still unable to hear any notification sounds.

I’ve researched this online but nothing seems work.

Any idea how to make the notification sound work when the phone is locked?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 10:25 AM

Hello ishvone! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you’re not hearing notifications from your iPhone when the display is locked. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help. 

If you use an Apple Watch, this may be expected behavior. Apple has more information on where you’ll see your notifications when using both your Apple Watch and iPhone: Notifications on your Apple Watch

Make it a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 10:25 AM in response to ishvone

Hello ishvone! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you’re not hearing notifications from your iPhone when the display is locked. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help. 

If you use an Apple Watch, this may be expected behavior. Apple has more information on where you’ll see your notifications when using both your Apple Watch and iPhone: Notifications on your Apple Watch

Make it a great day!

iPhone not making notification sounds when locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.