Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending a photo via photos on Mac, how?

Hi!

I recently decided to use the Photos library. I am organising my photos at the moment in albums and folders but I came accross a problem already.

I just needed to send a photo to someone via email on my mac. I do not use icloud mail but gmail. How do I access my photo library to attach that photo to the email? There does not seem to be any function for that or am I missing something? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 9:55 AM

At the bottom of the gmail compose window click the paperclip. (Circled in screenshot).

In the resultant browse window select photos from the media section of the side bar as shown.

This will send a copy of the original file (EG HEIC or RAW if that is

what you've taken with your camera) It won't appear as an image.

You can also use the image icon, and then drag an image from the photos app. This will appear as an image in the email, and will be converted to jpg.

You won't get the original file name in either case. If you want the original filename, export the images first to a folder, and then add them to the email (paper clip or image icon) from the folder.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 9:55 AM in response to Isaura01

At the bottom of the gmail compose window click the paperclip. (Circled in screenshot).

In the resultant browse window select photos from the media section of the side bar as shown.

This will send a copy of the original file (EG HEIC or RAW if that is

what you've taken with your camera) It won't appear as an image.

You can also use the image icon, and then drag an image from the photos app. This will appear as an image in the email, and will be converted to jpg.

You won't get the original file name in either case. If you want the original filename, export the images first to a folder, and then add them to the email (paper clip or image icon) from the folder.

Nov 24, 2021 8:19 AM in response to Isaura01

It is easier to use the Share menu in Photos to share selected photos by Mail, as suggested by Keith, but if you want to create the mail directly in Mail, you can use the Photo Browser in Mail. Click the Photo Browser in the toolbar of the "new Mail" panel, then click "photos" and wait. You may have a cup of coffee, while waiting for the albums to be prepared, then you will see the albums in the Photos Library to select the photos for attaching.

Nov 24, 2021 8:41 AM in response to léonie

Ah, so not attachments but the image icon, perfect thank you! It does take quite a while to load, that is something I cannot speed up I reckon?

One more thing, I actually just tried it again with my Gmail and not mail and now it did load the photos when I clicked on add attachments. Only thing is, it just opens all the photos and it only shows the album favourites, not the other albums/folders. Is that just the way it is if I do not use Apple Mail or is there a setting to let the folders show up as well?

Nov 24, 2021 12:13 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you! I found the folders that way as well!

However, it does not always work. When I click on the photos under media, it is loading and sometimes it loads with the pictures but other times after loading it just dissapears (see photos)

You see it loading here and then with the next picture it just stopped and the link towards photos is gone

and now it is gone. It is not all the time but quite often it just 'dissapears' do you have that too and is there anything to do about it without retrying many times?

Thanks!!

Nov 24, 2021 6:48 AM in response to Keith Barkley

haha oops, forgot to finish the title.

Thank you for the export/drag and drop explanation, did not know that!

Regarding Apple Mail, I have just logged into this but where do I find all my folders/albums from the photos library? I click on add attachments - under media I see photos - and then all my recents photos load, not the folders/albums I created.

Sending a photo via photos on Mac, how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.