Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook pro gets very hot

It's almost a year since i bought the M1 macbook pro and i know it doesn't get hot at all but right now when I am watching Netflix with my macbook pro the back part gets really when i checked it. I tried using it in normal mode and in low power mode, low power mode gets a little less hot. why is it getting hot when it's not supposed to?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 3:58 PM

ethanfrombacoor wrote:

i place it in the bed not in my lap, does it affect the air flow?

• Use your Mac notebook on a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation. Don’t use your Mac notebook in your bed, on a pillow, or under covers.

ref: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

those are links posted above, but you have to read them....

Any flat surface, it does not have to be some store bought fancy holding apparatus — a board, a TV tray, a large book, etc.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 3:58 PM in response to ethanfrombacoor

ethanfrombacoor wrote:

i place it in the bed not in my lap, does it affect the air flow?

• Use your Mac notebook on a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation. Don’t use your Mac notebook in your bed, on a pillow, or under covers.

ref: Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

those are links posted above, but you have to read them....

Any flat surface, it does not have to be some store bought fancy holding apparatus — a board, a TV tray, a large book, etc.

Nov 24, 2021 12:23 PM in response to ethanfrombacoor

ethanfrombacoor wrote:

It's almost a year since i bought the M1 macbook pro and i know it doesn't get hot at all but right now when I am watching Netflix with my macbook pro the back part gets really when i checked it. I tried using it in normal mode and in low power mode, low power mode gets a little less hot. why is it getting hot when it's not supposed to?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

The current macOS is 12.0.1 if you are not currently running this then update your software:

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

You can try a Safeboot to sort various issues on the M1

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201640

You can try a different browser to watch your Netflix and compare your results...

Nov 24, 2021 3:49 PM in response to ethanfrombacoor

Hi Ethan,

Yes, that will very likely affect the airflow. The main vents on your MacBook Pro are in the back, just under the bottom of the display. Blocking these vents will hinder your Mac from cooling properly.

It's best to use your MacBook Pro on a solid and flat surface (such as a table) so that the vents aren't blocked at all.

That said, if your MacBook Pro continues to get hot even when using it on a table or other solid surface, you might want to take a look in Activity Monitor (in Applications -> Utilities) and check which processes are using the most CPU resources.

M1 Macbook pro gets very hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.