Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean my MacBook

Is it safe to clean my MacBook's keyboard/touchpad (and the touchbar) using the small alcohol prep pads?

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 9:47 AM

⚠️ Apple changed its recommendations during the COVID pandemic to include some--not all--treated wipes. Please see their most current information here:

How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Personally, I stick with a cloth just barely dampened with plain old water. If you are the only user of the device, going the disinfectant route is probably overkill.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 9:47 AM in response to moolenschot

⚠️ Apple changed its recommendations during the COVID pandemic to include some--not all--treated wipes. Please see their most current information here:

How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Personally, I stick with a cloth just barely dampened with plain old water. If you are the only user of the device, going the disinfectant route is probably overkill.

Nov 24, 2021 9:56 AM in response to Allan Jones

I know, but the thing is, how many people actually check the "cleaners" to make sure they fit Apple's specification? I know of two right here in my neighborhood who read the new policy and proceeded to use 99% reagent grade Isopropanol (for mixing 70% hand sanitizer) and now they have custom finishes and odd letters on their keyboards.

It takes all kinds. Not so funny part is they got the 99% stuff from me as I bought a lot at the start of the Pandemic for me and my wife, my son's family and my daughter's family.

Nov 24, 2021 10:01 AM in response to ku4hx

I understand. Regardless, Apple changed their knowledge base document. Unfortunately, no one here has any influence over what Apple choses to publish.

Note that article has a "helpful" checkbox near the bottom. If you click "no" you will be presented with an opportunity to tell them what is wrong with the article. That is your best action.

Note that I added my personal preference of water-only to my response.

Clean my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.