Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS apps not connected to internet (11.6.1)

After installing recent 11.6.1 security update. None of my macOS apps will connect to the internet. This includes Mail, app store, safari, itunes, appleTV app (Library detected (cached?) but will not play), software updater, appleID sign in, icloud. Pretty much the whole suite.

However, the internet connection manager shows a good connection, and I can use browsers such as firefox with no issue. Messages even will mirror the items received on my phone, but it seems to be the exception. No issue with skype or zoom and non-apple apps using internet connection. The lack of connection is only impacting macOS apps.

I am running a imac 21.5 inch 2017, purchased in July 2021). Came installed with catalina and was working fine, but this issue appeared when initially updating to Big Sur (v11), but after a few reboots, and just ignoring it for awhile, the issue dissappeared and I was able to upgrade the rest of the way to current version. The issue hasn't repeated until recent security update. Have again attempted reboots, zapping pram, but no success.

I'm tempted to upgrade to v12 through the apple website (not appstore) using firefox browser, but would this fix the issue?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 8:53 AM

Check to ensure you do not have a proxy configured. System Preferences -> Network -> Highlight the active network device (green dot) -> Advanced button -> Proxies Tab. Nothing should be checked. Also check your DNS Servers on the DNS tab. You may see a greyed out entry that is what comes from your router via DHCP. If you have entries that are not greyed out, try removing them with the "-" button, click OK and Apply. You could also try one of the following Public DNS providers to bypass your ISP's provided DNS. These public services are usually much better overall. They can run faster and be more reliable. If you want all your devices to use these DNS servers you configure them on the router.

Cloudflare: 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1

Google: 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Quad9: 9.9.9.9 / 149.112.112.112

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220

Another thing to try is to boot in Safe Mode, hold Shift while powering on. Then shutdown and restart normally once it finishes booting into Safe Mode. Booting into Safe Mode performs several maintenance steps that can clear out caches, etc. and resolve bizarre problems.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 8:53 AM in response to Apple_IIe_forever

Check to ensure you do not have a proxy configured. System Preferences -> Network -> Highlight the active network device (green dot) -> Advanced button -> Proxies Tab. Nothing should be checked. Also check your DNS Servers on the DNS tab. You may see a greyed out entry that is what comes from your router via DHCP. If you have entries that are not greyed out, try removing them with the "-" button, click OK and Apply. You could also try one of the following Public DNS providers to bypass your ISP's provided DNS. These public services are usually much better overall. They can run faster and be more reliable. If you want all your devices to use these DNS servers you configure them on the router.

Cloudflare: 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1

Google: 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Quad9: 9.9.9.9 / 149.112.112.112

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220

Another thing to try is to boot in Safe Mode, hold Shift while powering on. Then shutdown and restart normally once it finishes booting into Safe Mode. Booting into Safe Mode performs several maintenance steps that can clear out caches, etc. and resolve bizarre problems.

macOS apps not connected to internet (11.6.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.