Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro user avatar changed and can't be modified.

Since installing macOS Monterey on a MacBook Pro, my user avatar has changed. And the normal way to change it doesn't work. When you select that user in System Preferences (even when logged on as a different admin user), the frame where the avatar used to appear and be editable is no longer there.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:52 AM

dkerp wrote:

Since installing macOS Monterey on a MacBook Pro, my user avatar has changed. And the normal way to change it doesn't work. When you select that user in System Preferences (even when logged on as a different admin user), the frame where the avatar used to appear and be editable is no longer there.

Make a change in your Contacts.app and compare your results

Contacts User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 7:52 AM in response to dkerp

dkerp wrote:

Make a change in your Contacts.app and compare your results

Contacts User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Nov 26, 2021 6:52 AM in response to dkerp

Hello dkerp,

It sounds like you need some help changing your login picture on your Mac. We will be happy to provide some guidance.

You mentioned that you have tried the old way to change this. For clarification, did you follow the steps in this article?

Change a user’s login picture on Mac

If that doesn't help, can you try setting up a test user to see if you can modify it there?

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Please let us know, we are standing by for you.

Dec 11, 2021 3:38 AM in response to merlinapple

I did follow this procedure but the avatar didn't appear on the right to edit. Yes, when I created other users, I was able to edit their avatar, just not my own. I even created a not the admin user to see if by logging in as someone else, I might be able to get at my avatar, but that wasn't working either.

What DID work finally, was leroydouglas' post below. Somehow, by changing my avatar in the Contacts app, it unfroze whatever was keeping me from accessing the avatar in System Preferences / Users.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro user avatar changed and can't be modified.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.