You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay on iPhone 13 Pro keeps switching appearance between dark/light when set to Always Dark

This issue seems to have started since installing iOS 15.1.1 in that when Appearance is set to Always Dark, the app I’m running will automatically alternate between dark/light mode, but not the CarPlay UI which will remain black at all times unless I set the Appearance to Automatic.

This is affecting any apps that support Dark Mode; in my case this is affecting Apple Maps and Waze. When the app on CarPlay is showing the light version, and on the phone itself I’ll go into the same app and it’ll be showing the dark version.

If Waze is running on CarPlay and is showing the light version, I’ll open Waze on my phone whilst still connected to CarPlay and Waze on my phone will be showing the dark version. However, on my phone within Waze I can turn off Dark Mode and back on again and yet Waze on CarPlay will remain as the light version.

On my phone, I have used the option to “forget this car” and restarted it, whilst also restarting the head unit in the car, then re-paired the phone to CarPlay but the same issue remains.

Has anyone ever come across this issue? Apple Support had no knowledge of this issue when I reported it yesterday, but it’s happening consistently.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 10:44 AM

There are no replies.

CarPlay on iPhone 13 Pro keeps switching appearance between dark/light when set to Always Dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.