Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Weak Security" on iPhone for my wifi network, but it's using WPA2-Personal

My iPhone will connect to my wifi (ASUS RT-N66R router) fine with no warnings, but some time later it will show as "Weak Security." The notice tells me to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3. My router does not have WPA3, but it is definitely using WPA2 and AES:

Why does the "Weak Security" warning come up? Does it indicate something wrong, or is iOS just wonky in how it detects network security?

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 12:27 PM

WPA2(AES) and WPA2-Personal should be OK. You don’t need WPA3 to satisfy the security requirements, and it’s not a good choice if you have older devices that may not support WPA3. So these are secure options:

• WPA2(AES)
  • WPA2-Personal
  • WPA2(AES)/WPA3

What is not secure is WPA, WPA2(TKIP), WPA/WPA2 or any other combination that includes WPA.

I’m not familiar with your router, but I am suspicious of the setting under “WPA Encryption”. Is there a “none” option for that?

Another possibility is if you have a range extender that is not WPA2(AES) or higher.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2021 12:27 PM in response to MattShepherd

WPA2(AES) and WPA2-Personal should be OK. You don’t need WPA3 to satisfy the security requirements, and it’s not a good choice if you have older devices that may not support WPA3. So these are secure options:

• WPA2(AES)
  • WPA2-Personal
  • WPA2(AES)/WPA3

What is not secure is WPA, WPA2(TKIP), WPA/WPA2 or any other combination that includes WPA.

I’m not familiar with your router, but I am suspicious of the setting under “WPA Encryption”. Is there a “none” option for that?

Another possibility is if you have a range extender that is not WPA2(AES) or higher.

Nov 25, 2021 3:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks, Lawrence -- actually, it might be that I have a range extender -- a TP-Link RE200/AC750, which on the specs page says:

Wireless Security	
64/128/152-bit WEP
WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK

...so maybe my phone is switching over to it in certain parts of the house? I've looked at the settings via the TP-Link app and there doesn't seem to be anything I can change in there.

"Weak Security" on iPhone for my wifi network, but it's using WPA2-Personal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.