Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Mac mini to existing monitor

I currently have a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) running 10.14 with a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display. Since I can't update my Mac Pro to the newest system, can I purchase the latest Mac mini & connect it to my existing display? I believe that will entail connecting the Mac mini's Thunderbolt/USB 4 port to my monitors mini display port. Of all places, Walmart is showing Thunderbolt 3 USB C to Mini Display port cable. Am I going down a workable path ??

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 9:40 AM

While it is a workable solution, note 2 things:

1. If the one being sold by Walmart is Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, Apple advises it is not compatible with Mini-Display devices that actually require Mini Display and not Thunderbolt 2.
  2. You will be limited in what resolutions you can output to the monitor by the monitor itself. The new Mac Mini can go up to 6K resolution, but the LED Cinema display only supports up to 2560x1440

See here for suggested adapters and instructions: https://www.macworld.com/article/229510/connecting-an-apple-led-cinema-display-to-a-usb-c-macbook-or-macbook-pro-here-are-the-adapters-you.html

It refers to MacBooks but applies to Mac minis. too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 9:40 AM in response to Dumplins1

While it is a workable solution, note 2 things:

1. If the one being sold by Walmart is Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, Apple advises it is not compatible with Mini-Display devices that actually require Mini Display and not Thunderbolt 2.
  2. You will be limited in what resolutions you can output to the monitor by the monitor itself. The new Mac Mini can go up to 6K resolution, but the LED Cinema display only supports up to 2560x1440

See here for suggested adapters and instructions: https://www.macworld.com/article/229510/connecting-an-apple-led-cinema-display-to-a-usb-c-macbook-or-macbook-pro-here-are-the-adapters-you.html

It refers to MacBooks but applies to Mac minis. too.

Connecting Mac mini to existing monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.