Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2020 connection to a 2014 apple display

What adapter do I need to connect my old 2014 apple monitor/screen to a new Mac mini 2020? The built in cable from the old display I think is mini dv? Tried to buy an adapter that linked that to a usb thunderbolt but it didn’t work? What do I need exact]ctly and where can I buy it? Thanks

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 7:51 AM

Hi, marshal, would this be the monitor you’re referring to ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Thunderbolt_Display

if so, then it’s Thunderbolt (1??) … Thunderbolt 2 looks like this ;

So… maybe you mean MiniDisplayPort?? Although it looks. like a MiniDiSplayPort, it doesn’t really act like one, eg, if you use a miniDP cable to connect ‘em, it won’t work, you’d need a Thunderbolt 3 to 2/1 adapter. Apple makes ‘em and sells ‘em others may do so also .. see link for example.. Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Should run you about $60 plus tax

john b

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2022 7:51 AM in response to marshyp

Hi, marshal, would this be the monitor you’re referring to ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Thunderbolt_Display

if so, then it’s Thunderbolt (1??) … Thunderbolt 2 looks like this ;

So… maybe you mean MiniDisplayPort?? Although it looks. like a MiniDiSplayPort, it doesn’t really act like one, eg, if you use a miniDP cable to connect ‘em, it won’t work, you’d need a Thunderbolt 3 to 2/1 adapter. Apple makes ‘em and sells ‘em others may do so also .. see link for example.. Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Should run you about $60 plus tax

john b

Oct 22, 2022 6:58 AM in response to marshyp

Your 2014 Apple display - known as "Thunderbolt Display" with build-in, non-removable cord (one is male Thunderbolt 1/2 connector, the other is Mag-safe to charge laptops using Mage-safe power).

Mac Mini M1 - is using Thunderbolt 3. I believe you ordered the right adapter, should be this.

Just put a simple electric tape over the Mag-safe to avoid accidental moisture/water invasion.

Oct 18, 2022 6:18 AM in response to marshyp

If the iMac is a late 2014 iMac, i.e. Retina display, it cannot be used as a monitor. In addition, no Mac of any sort released from early 2020 or newer cannot use any iMac as a display as the hardware does not support it.

There are no workarounds, adapters, or magic wands that will make it work. Sorry, I know it is not what you wanted to hear.

Mac mini 2020 connection to a 2014 apple display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.